We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Used the excuse of picking up my daughter at UNH to take a minivacation. We were leaving some stuff at a friends home who happens to live in Hampton, NH. This was fortuitous as NoMo had started a thread about a great Lobster roll at Beach Plum. The weather was cold and rainy and there were no inside tables available (there aren't any on nice days either as there are not any inside tables at all). We split the foot long lobster roll which was just outstanding and could barely eat it- but we managed. Unfortunately no room for the ice cream.

Had dinner in Boston at Rocca in the South End. Very nice room although it reminded me a bit between tomorrowland at Disney and someplace the Jetsons might eat. Can't describe the menu as I didn't understand anything except the roasted chicken on the bottom. http://roccaboston.com/home/

Since we were still full from lunch just ordered what was supposed to be a salad. The Romaine lettuce was grilled and served on a platter with what I would call an anchovie paste or mustard and ground pepper. It was actually quite good. It is small dish but large price. My cousin had the Monkfish but it had a worm in it and she refused to pay extra for that so sent it back.

She is a foodie (this place wasn't my idea) and said this is a known issue with Monkfish, so I learned something new.

Next day went to the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln which is wonderful and would suggest to anyone who likes sculpture gardens which are a bit avente garde.

This was followed by lunch at a chinese restaurant Yangtze River in Lexington. Had the buffet which was pretty good. Truly miss Boston chinese food. Followed this with a trip to Walden Pond. My daughter and I intended to walk to Thoreau's hut but just before we got there she needed a potty and thoreau did not have one. So, we just saw the replica by the parking lot and then hung out near the pond for a while. Then we wandered around Concord which has great shops. Found blueberry ice cream, first of the season.

That night we saw the Sox beat the Twins at Fenway. My daughter's first trip and my first in a long time. Dinner- Fenway Franks, of course.

Next day traveled down to Chatham. We stayed with a friend who owns a great creaky 200 yr old house. We all went to dinner at the Chatham Bar Inn Tavern. Very civilized and certainly can be very expensive, but with Kendrick's tip (I think) about restaurant week had a 3 course meal for $32. Started with the clam chowder, followed by the cioppino and never got to dessert as I was still full from the Lobster Roll from 2 days before.

Hung out around Main St and walked down to the water on a lovely day.

pay attention here as everyone wants to know about those hidden gems. Marion's makes incredible pies - seafood and fruit.

Had the seafood for an appetizer with drinks and it was out of this world. Also bought a blueberry crumb cake which we were too stuffed to eat.

So, on Sunday, we got up and on the way out of town went to hidden gem #2- Sesuit Harbor Cafe. There we sat outside where we had great fish sandwiches, but they are known for lobster rolls and many other items. Very warm and friendly owners/staff who thanked every one for coming.

We brought the pie and some Brighams vanilla ice cream for dessert. Still could not make a dent so we gave it to the rest of the customers who agreed the pie was amazing.

Then we traveled the saddest road in NE- Rt 6 West- the road off the Cape. I realized that I always play Bruce Springsteen as I cross the bridge to arrive but never on the way off.

Anyway, can't wait to get back in August for another week on Old Cape Cod.

Now that I have scouted all this out, next time I will take my wife.

Edited: 23 May 2010, 03:11
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Jeff,

This was a great write-up! You really covered some ground and hit some cool spots along the way. Two thumbs up to NoMo for sterring you towards the footlong lobster roll. Price tag on that baby?

And it really sounds like you had a great time on the Cape. You always do! I think you need to move there, Jeff. I really do. You can't keep doing this to yourself., haha.

It sounds like you used a bunch of tips from the various forum members and made it a mission to check some of these places out. (with the exception of Rocca). And all in all, it looks like it was a fantastic...ermm...fortuitous trip. =)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Wonderful report, Neslaw1. I've been wanting to try Rocca but now not so sure (although I do love roasted chicken when done right) and I was just talking to someone about the DeCordova the other day. You've inspired me to just do it! I've heard of Marions but have yet to have the pleasure of eating their pies. I wonder how their blueberry crumb compares to Mann's Orchard's in Methuen.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Newslaw1,

Good morning! Nice minivacation you had even quality time with your daughter too, good job.

My niece graduated yesterday from UNH, the "Life is Good" co-founder Bert Jacobs was their commencement speaker. HE was SO good. It was one of the best best graduations I ever went to. I could have listened to him all afternoon, what a wonderful job he did. There were 2400 graduates and now today I'm off to another graduation, only a smaller class, by tonight I'll be all graduated out, lol.

Glad you got to the Beach Plum for one of their incredible lobster rolls. Aren't they awesome from there! I still can't believe I never bothered trying them last summer! I just got another one earlier this week & this time I split it with my mother & she had it for a few days! They really are unbelievable from there! No wonder they won so many awards, so many times, they're great, aren't they!

Terrific report, you covered a lot of great turf in our beloved New England!

Now I never knew that about the monkfish, yikes! I'll be sticking with my swordfish & shellfish, no doubt about that one! Thank you very much for that tip!

Have a great day!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Will,

The lobster rolls at the Beach Plum in No. Hampton, NH are $16.95. I was at Kelly's the other day and they're still that price there too these days. Worth every dime in my book....!!!

Some day cruise up to the NH coast for one, you won't believe it when you see them!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Thank guys. The quality time with my daughter always makes the time special. Managed to do a lot without killing ourselves. The price of the footlong LR is $27 which is a bargain since it feeds 2 (maybe 3) and they cut the roll in 1/2 for us, gave separate boxes and threw in an extra bag of chips. Can't beat that with a stick.

Will- it's not that I am a glutton for punishment- more a glutton for pleasure.

Oh, almost forgot- went to a wonderful gallery in Concord- LaCoste. very nice jewelry and other artwork, sculpture, pottery, etc. Prices is not for the faint of heart but for all you viewers who are looking for the best, this may qualify. Was turned onto this place by my aunt who is friends with the owner. But, if you saw my Aunt and Uncle's home, you would realize they are friends with lots of gallery owners- or at least lots of owners are friends with them. Was able to find a trinket for my wife or I might still be in Boston 'cause I could not have come home.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

We saw that on their menu too at the Beach Plum, $16.95's the limit...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

Thanks for the Trip Report, Neslaw. I loved the Lobster Roll from Beach Plum, too. Since, I'm now on the my personal hunt for the best lobster roll, I have had 3 others since my visit to Beach Plum. Neptune Oyster, The Chart House, and a friend made me a homemade one with fresh lobster from Market Basket. I still have the entire summer to continue my quest!!!!

I really enjoy the DeCordova grounds. I have never been inside the museum since the outdoor sculpture park is so spectacular. I hope to make it inside their museum this year. I also enjoy browsing at the Concord shops and galleries, some really nice work by many local artists. Please, write another TR when you come back this way. I enjoyed reading your mini-vacation report.

Here's NoMo's thread on the best lobster roll:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28950-i526-k36161…

8. Re: minivacation from Hampton NH to Chatham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 06:17