We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

I know there are probably a hundred similar threads, and I have read quite few to come up with this plan so far - just want a reality check on my itinerary and would appreciate input.

We are a 30-something husband and wife from South Africa. We do a lot of roadtrips and have no problem driving 4-5 hours a day. On the days we don't drive we are likely to do something active (cycling /canoeing) or just walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Beach time and reading not important (can do that back home!)

We are mostly interested in beautiful and unique scenery and trying out local food (nothing fancy - diners & clam shacks are perfect). We are on quite a tight budget as the US is rather expensive for us. This trip will take place in the last 3 weeks of September this year so I'm literally booking everything this week (except NYC which is already booked).

After 1 week in Manhattan (conference plus a few days of sightseeing) we will be starting our 12 day roadtrip;

**Get train to Stamford/New Haven, hire car (cheaper outside NYC plus cheaper to return it to same place rather than hire in Boston) and drive to Cape Cod - which will take most of the day. Stay 2-3 nights. Ride bikes at National Seashore, visit towns and if we stay 3 nights also a trip out to Nantucket.

**Drive to Boston, stay 2 nights (will have to choose hotel that has free parking - probably outside of the city). Only really interested in Freedom Trail and Cambridge so 1.5 days should be sufficient.

**Drive up Maine coast - would love to stay near Camden, but concerned this is too much for 1 day. Could stay lower down?

**Bass harbor for 2 nights to visit Acadia National Park.

**Drive to White Mountain area, 1 night.

**Drive to Stowe/Montpelier - stay 2 nights. Leaf-peeping and checking out a Maple farm are main highlights.

**Drive to Green Mountain area via scenic route 100. Stay in Manchester area.

**Drive back to Stamford return car, stay near JFK for final night.

Depart next morning home.

Some people have warned that this is too much for 12 days and that we should cut out Cape Cod or Acadia National Park? If we go as high as Boothbay, do we need to go to Acadia?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

Sounds pretty good.

I think you are giving Boston short shrift, but in any case I would pay for parking in town (since you have a car) rather than stay in the suburbs just because you don't want to spend a little more on parking (I can never grasp why so many people are hung up about the idea of paying for a place for their car to spend the night).

You can certainly drive to Camden in one day - it is only 3 and 1/2 hours. In fact I would recommend just driving up to Bar Harbor (or Bass Harbor specifically, if that is what you meant) and spending an extra night there.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

Your plan looks like a good plan. I like BoothBay Harbor but I think a lot of restaurants and attractions start closing in September. Take a schooner boat ride if you stop in BoothBay and make sure to stop to get a Hot Lobster Roll at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, ME (even if you by pass BoothBay Harbor)

What days of the week will you be staying in Boston? The parking rates can be cheaper on weekends. Also, you could opt to park your car at Wellington T Stop in a covered garage at Station Landing in Medford for $5 per 24 hours. You MUST park on level 5 or above(the leased MBTA spaces) you can catch the T here and still stay in a Boston Hotel without paying the outrageous parking fees.

Enjoy!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. Dont mind paying for parking if its only $5 for a day but also not too keen to try drive around the city - will see what hotels I can find.

4. Re: Itinerary advice for New England Roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 10:17