We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Trip

Pleasanton...
13 posts
Save Topic
September Trip

My husband and I (50+) will be arriving in Boston late afternoon on Saturday, Sept. 24 and, since we stayed in the city previously, we would like to explore the surrounding area. We have 3 full days before we return to Boston on Tuesday evening but are not sure where to go. It seems we will be a little early to really appreciate the fall foliage but are hoping the leaves will have started to turn. Should we go west towards Berkshire or south and spend the time exploring Cape Cod. I noticed that Providence has a Winter fire night in the evening that we arrive. Should we head there the first night? I also wondered about going north towards Rockport area. We enjoy being outdoors, good dining, and seeing the sights.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Trip

Waterfire is a very cool event that I think is especially nice in the fall. If you go, get there on the early side and really walk around to see all that they've got going on (bands, dancing, cultural demonstrations, etc. It varies according to who sponsors are for the evening. The Rhode Island School of Design Museum is definitely worth checking out and within walking distance too.) If you choose to go that route, I'd recommend exploring more of coastal Rhode Island (newport, Westport, etc) and then maybe come back to Boston via the Cape? Otherwise, I'd say EITHER go west/Berkshires OR go North/North Shore. The best chance of any kind of foliage will likely be North or West if it matters.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Trip

Hi, Water Fire in Providence is a lot of fun & so I suggest you do that and then perhaps the next morning, go to Newport RI to see the mansions & the Cliff Walk. On Sunday night go over to the Cape. The lower Cape is a wonderful place to visit, esp. the National Seashore beaches. Check out "Which town? Where should we stay?" in Top Questions on the Cape Cod forum page.

Providence's Federal Hill neighborhood has some really good Italian restaurants. It is still pretty early for foliage in Southern New England.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 20:53
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Trip

If you want to see fall foliage you'll need to head NORTH. Somebody posted on the New Hampshire that the Kancamagus highway in the White Mountains has re-opened after being closed due to hurricane Irene damage.

But ... the places mentioned above are also great.

You need to decide how important changing leaves are to you.

Level Contributor
33 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Trip

Water Fire in Providence is a nice take. It's about a 1 hour drive from downtown Boston. If you go south you likely won't see any foliage that early. If you go north you may....but that's still very early unless maybe you find some foliage in the NH mountains. Charming towns to visit north of Boston are Rockport and Newburyport. Both are also accessible from Boston by train.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Trip

Check out yankee magazine's foliage map. Click on your dates in the map at the lower right corner and see what the prediction is for "peak colors".

yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Trip

Newport would be a great choice for you since you enjoy the outdoors, good dining and sightseeing. Whe you arrive head to Providence for waterfire and then head to Newport, RI. Walk the Cliff Walk, eat and shop at the many shops and restaurants. Drive along Ocean Blvd. Visit a mansion, visit Rise Island. If you are really adventurous, you can even stay at the lighthouse on Rose Island.

http://www.gonewport.com/

www.roseislandlighthouse.org/index.html

Pleasanton...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: September Trip

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice. They have been very helpful.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Trip

You r best chance for early color will be in the higher elevations, so the Berkshires should be considered.It's a beautiful area.

9. Re: September Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 19:15