We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Leamington Spa...
10 posts
Save Topic
New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are finally taking the tour of New England in the Fall that we have promised ourselves for the last 10 years and we can't wait! It is nearly 3 years since we visited the U.S. and we desperately miss it.

It would be a real shame to pass by great places or things to do en route from destination to destination as well as making the most of the areas in which we are staying in.

We have the following itinerary planned and we want to try and ensure that we make the very best of our limited time.......

- Arrive in Boston

- Falmouth - 2 Nights

- Newport Beach, Rhode Island - 2 nights

- Sturbridge - 2 Nights

- Stowe - 1 Night

- North Conway - 2 Nights

- Sebasco - 2 Nights

- Boston - 3 Nights

What do we like?...................amazing architecture, beautiful countryside, insights into and absorbing ourselves into other cultures, along with modern history and traditions. Good, ideally healthy, food, relaxing, people watching. Contemporary art and modern design, live music in intimate venues. Shopping (my wife more than I!).

Any guidance would be genuinely appreciated e.g. ideas, web links, travel tips on how to get to places in a time and cost efficient manner, things that we should book ahead. Great restaurants and cafes, ideally independent rather than chains.

Thanks in advance.

Jason and Emma

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

When specifically are you planning to come? You may want to shift the Sturbridge stop more westerly to the Berkshires, like to the Stockbridge area, etc., where there are lots of cool towns and beautiful scenery. You might be able to squeeze an extra night there by taking one away from either Falmouth or Newport, but it's hard to second guess that without knowing specific dates. You could also decrease your northern swing by a day ot two instead.

Leamington Spa...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Hey Alan, thanks for the reply. We are there for the first couple of weeks of October, so not long now! Our locations are fairly well locked in unfortunately, but within reason we are flexible in the routes that we take between locations. Ideally we would like an extra week, but it just isn't practical, but then again that gives us a reason to come again. Jason

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

IMHO, I don't know if I would want to spend two nights in Sturbridge. There is Old Sturbridge Village, which you can see in a day, but other than that there aren't many other sights. Alan's idea of going to the Berkshires is a good one. I think that the Berkshires is much more scenic area than Sturbridge, with lots of interesting older homes to see and natural scenery. If you like contemporary art, you may like the MASS MoCA museum in North Adams, which is a center of contemporary visual art. Also, the DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum is a modern art museum in Lincoln, MA which is a nice day trip from Boston and you can then dine at AKA Bistro in Lincoln, a French/Japanese restaurant which is one of my local favorites. Right in Boston is the ICA museum, also modern art.

Leamington Spa...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Thanks BooKat. It is a long story as to why we have the itinerary that we have, but based on your advice and that of Alan's I think we are going to aim for and late arrival in Sturbridge on the the first night and an early start after the second night. So we need to work out what we can do to make the most of the trip from Newport Beach to Sturbridge and the same from Sturbridge to Stowe.

We really appreciate the MASS MoCA and DeCordova Sculpture Park recommendations, we will look to do at least one of the two, plus the ICA.

Again sincere thanks.

Leamington Spa...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Guys, I also meant to mention that it is our Wedding Anniversary just after we get back. so I wanted to take the opportunity to celebrate early whist we are in Boston. Any thoughts on unusual fun restaurants, maybe even romantic (not something I typically do well!)? I am not looking for haute cuisine, just great food, fresh, spicy, quirky are all fine, just want to have a special and fun Boston night out. Thanks, Jason

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Toro, for Spanish tapas. Google it and take a look. Great food, wine and a really lively atmosphere, lots of fun.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

I would suggest the The Top Of The Hub to celebrate your anniversary. You might enjoy the lounge where they offer a lounge menu and live Jazz music.

http://www.topofthehub.net/index.html

Leamington Spa...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

Thanks again guys for taking the time out to help.

Jason

9. Re: New England Tour - Advice, tips & insight really appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:19