We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

We are planning to visit New England in October, to tour around for about two weeks. We don't really want to leave the UK until 5th October onwards. Some people have advised us that this is really rather late and that we should change our arrangements and get to New England by the end of September at the latest. Are they right? Any advice on this would be welcome, also any suggestions as to itinerary if we don't get to New England until the end of the first week of October. Thank you

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

It all depends on the weather. Traditionally, Columbus Day weekend is a big one for leaf peepers and that's in October. Check out the following website: www.yankeefoliage.com

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

For most areas of New England, October is actually much better than September. In the middle of October, peak foliage is usually in Central Massachusetts and southern NH and Vermont. I think it's a good choice.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

Agreed. Come on October 5 and head north. Barring a thoroughly lackluster autumn like the current one, you should get great color.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,261 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

I agree with above advice, head north first then come south. I'm amazed that we have some trees in full color right now, which is rather late. It was definitely not colors-as-usual this autumn.

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

Thank you all for the replies so far - that's very helpful.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

Second and third weeks of October are perfect for fall colors. You might see some color in the northern mountains during the end of September, but I would *never* plan a foliage trip in September.

Anyway, I will echo what the others have said: head north first into the White Mountains of New Hampshire and/or the Green Mountains of Vermont, as these will be the first places to reach peak foliage. The colors progress gradually from the higher elevations southward and towards the ocean.

This year was very abnormal - the colors arrived much later than usual (about a full week in most places) and they were exceptionally dull compared to their normal vibrancy. Hopefully, next year will be a return to normal.

7. Re: Second and third week October good for Fall colours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:27