We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

Woburn...
Level Contributor
20 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

I am looking to get out of the New England area in January for a long weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on somewhere to go? I am looking for somewhere we could either drive or get a cheap flight and a place that has a lot of stuff to do.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

I was sure when I saw the headline that you were going to ask fo someplace warm to go, which is what most normal New Englanders look for in January and February. However, since you're not so typical, maybe going "from the frying pan into the fire" may be appropriate - which would be Montreal, about a 5 hour drive.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

I was going to suggest Newport as a good place to visit that time of year as some of the mansions are open on weekends, and there are plenty of shops & restaurants, but it is in New England! I like Alan's suggestion of Montreal.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 21:02
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

You could fly Southwest non-stop to Phoenix for $184 each way.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

Or you could go to Philadelphia, Washington, or New York.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
645 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

Wpsaukee, you beat me to it. I had just plugged in the dates of Fri Jan 14-Mon Jan 16 to DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. Roundtrip to DC Reagan is $113, and to Baltimore or Philadelphia is $103. Each of those flights is only about an hour, too.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

NYC and DC would be my vote if the weather was looking favorable.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

You could take a bus to Albany.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

For warm weather, I might look on Travelocity or Expedia, etc. for a cheap package deal to Florida. Orlando is touristy, but it does have a lot of (touristy) stuff to do and lots of inexpensive hotels. In my experience, you can get good deals in early January (avoiding MLK long weekend) because of the post holiday season, not a lot of leisure travelers about. Warm weather aside, I would go to NYC and check the discount hotel sites, like Priceline, to book. Tons to do in NYC, great restaurants, shopping, etc.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

Bolt Bus from South Station to the heart of Manhattan... It's dirt cheap (varies), the buses are just fine, and you usually have two seats, outside of peak holidays. (But this doesn't include MLK's Birthday.) Before this leads to the long discussion of the dirt cheap buses to NYC: Yes, Fung Wah buses don't have a good reputation.

Cards on the table: I prefer the train for scenery and smoothness, but staying in NYC is expensive.

conn
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting out of New England for cheap in January?

Look at at Amtrak trips.