We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to NYC

Ballymena
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Boston to NYC

Hi. I am planning a trip to Boston in August and was looking for any advice on where to stay and what to see while there. My plan is to make my way from Niagara Falls to Boston and spend a few days there before finding my way to NYC.

Any suggestions on best ways to travel and what is worth seeing would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to NYC

Please do a little reading here. You can start with "Things to do" on the left and then read some of the previous posts other folks have sent in here. Then figure out what kinds of things you're interested in based on your wants and needs. When you do that, then come back and we'll help you sort it all out.

Ballymena
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to NYC

Thanks, very useful. I have decided I'd like to go to Provincetown for a night and do a whale watching tour, I see it is possible to get a ferry from Boston to P'town. After that I would hope to make my way to NYC, I'm not sure of best way to do this, so any suggestions would be welcome. Also, any suggestions for hotels in Boston would also help!

Thanks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to NYC

Will you have a car? What price range for accommodation?

Ballymena
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to NYC

I wont have a car so will be relying on public transport/taxis etc. I am on a budget, its hard to say exactly what my price range would be as i'm not 100% sure of how long i will be there for but something in the mid price range. I have beenn looking online and saw some lovely b&bs around teh Provincetown area.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to NYC

Without a car you will have to use a combination of flying, bus and train. Probably fly to Boston from Niagara, ferry to Provincetown and back to Boston. Bus or train or fly to New York depending on your budget.

Are you flying home from New York? How are you getting to Niagara?

Edited: 06 February 2012, 18:36
Ballymena
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to NYC

Yes, Flying home from NYC. I am flying into Toronto and spending a few days there before making my way to Niagara. I had thought about flying from Niagara to Boston, or perhaps from Niagara to Buffalo and then fly to Boston...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to NYC

"Mid Range" doesn't help me determine your budget, which should be independent of the number of nights. We're seeking a "Per Night" target. We assume you'll do the calculations and reservations.

Anyway, without knowing any of that, all of your proposed activities are centered around the Harbor, including the Whale Watch, Ferry to Provincetown and train or bus to NYC from South Station. Based on that, I would recommend the Marriott Long Wharf Hotel, Hilton Financial District, Boston Harbor Hotel or Harborside Inn.

Ballymena
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to NYC

Thank you

Marblehead...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to NYC

For things to see in Boston, do the Freedom Trail. You can find information for it at

www.Freedomtrail.org

Other sites I like include the Museum of FIne Arts and the Harvard Museum of Natural History.

Have dinner at least once in the North End and visit any of the Bakeries. St. Paul's Cathedral and the South Church are beautiful to see as well.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to NYC

During August you will not find much that would be called "budget". That is prime time for vacations and you have picked some pretty popular destinations. Without a car you will need to plan carefully, especially those places that are not well served by planes and trains. You'll have no trouble in Boston as public transportation is very good and there is plenty to see and do.