We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

Chicago
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

Does anybody know if an IL I-Pass transponder, which is part of the EZ-Pass system, will work on the Mass Turnpike Fast Lane system? There are reports of it working in NY and I know it works in Indiana but I havent seen anything about Mass.

Thanks

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

It will work. As long as its part of the EZ-Pass system, it will work. Same goes for NY, etc.

…state.ma.us/highway/…8

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

As I said on your other thread, call IPass and ask if you can use your transponder in a rental car in Mass. You probably have to call and register the new plate (as you have to do with Fast Lane).

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

You have to call or via Internet to add the rental car to your account. I have done it numerous times and it works. Make sure to take it off right away, otherwise if the next driver gets a violation, it may go against you.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

As I mentioned before, keep in mind if you have an internal device, it may not work on your rental. This happened to me with the last car I bought a car. I went thru and it didn't work. I got the external device and fast lane said too bad and I had to pay the ticket

Edited: 19 March 2012, 20:03
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

fw, my transponder is fixed to my windshield, inside--what do you mean by an "external" v. "internal" device. I have Fast Lane. I didn't know transponders differed in placement from one system to another, but since I only used FL, that's not surprising.

Thanks.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

The external transponders attach to your front license plate. The internal ones are the ones mounted on your windshield. While there are certain cars that give you a difficult line of sight to the scanner in the lane, these internal transponders will work in every car if mounted properly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

Thanks, tchoiniere, for the explanation. I didn't know about the license plate attachment styles.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

Upon further review on Wikipedia, some vehicles have windshields that block RFID signals which is why some cars won't work with the internal transponders.

I don't think this is very widespread as you see a lot of cars with the internal transponders.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

As far as I know, Fast Lane, the Massachusetts transponder org, doesn't even offer the external set up. At least up to now, I had never heard of it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Illinois "I-Pass" transponder on Mass Turnpike

Fast Lane does offer external tags that mount on the license plate. Only a handful of vehicles need them - usually ones with heated windshields or other features that block the radio signal.

For the OP, keep in mind that many rental cars have Fast Lane / EZ Pass already installed (e.g. the "PlatePass" service). They will impose a surcharge, but it might be simpler and easier than bringing your own transponder from home, dealing with customer service as you add and remove the rental vehicle from your account, etc.