We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Customs from UK - what to expect???

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
US Customs from UK - what to expect???

I am going to the US on holiday for the first time this summer, I will be with my wife and four year old daughter.

What I am curious about is this: when we land in the US, how long will we be in customs etc until we can go through to meet the friends we are staying with in arrivals?

I've heard all sorts of things about hours of queuing not to mention random strip searches (what donthese involve!!!) and I'm concerned about this as we will have to keep the little one busy!

Thanks!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

Haven't heard about any annoying searches in

Logan. Plan on spending an hour but don't be surprised if you take 90 minutes. If you arrive before 2:00 pm, chances are you will be thru under and hour. Custom agents don't get British humor, so save the jokes for your friends.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

Ok lol no problem, answer why I'm asked and nothing more!

We land about 12.40pm I think but my friends are only 15 mins from the airport so we can either text them when we're through or get a cab!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

Perfect time to land. There is a cell phone lot for your friends to wait. Getting over to terminal e from the cell phone lot takes two minutes. tell them to head in the direction of the gas station.

massport.com

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

It's really nothing to worry about. I've never heard of strip searches. When my son was 8 years old and we were returning from Rome (just the two of us) we were pulled aside for a random, thorough search. It was a funny experience as he had packed all kinds of little boy stuff including sticks of bamboo he had collected in Italy (which were confiscated) and an empty can of Sprite, which he explained to the agent he was bringing home to crush in the driveway.

They now have a beagle who will sniff out any kind of foodstuff in the luggage as it arrives on the carousel. It's almost worth packing an apple just to watch him find it (he/she is extremely cute).

The whole process is not likely to take more than an extra 15 minutes in addition to the time it takes to get your luggage off the plane.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

It takes about 15 minutes in the "US citizen lane" if you arrive at an off-peak time, but looking over at the "foreigner lane" the last time I went through Logan, it looked like it could have taken considerably longer.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

my 15-minute estimate was for non-residents - I think it just feels like it takes longer when you are smuggling contraband. they are pretty good about opening lanes when planes arrive (it's as though they know when the planes are arriving).

7. Re: US Customs from UK - what to expect???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:42