We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Self Drive - Autumn 2013

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
New England Self Drive - Autumn 2013

We are looking at two possible trips for the second half of 2013, one of them being a self drive around New England! I have wanted to visit for many years and am especially interested in travelling in September or October - we have around two weeks and will fly from Cape Town, via London, to Boston.

Although we have done a fair bit of research, we are still looking for local guidance on the best route that would suit our interests. We are not at all looking for anything "city" and would prefer country and seaside. Food and wine are really important as are good quality inns and lodges, rather than larger hotels.

If anyone has any suggestions, please get in touch.

Many thanks!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Self Drive - Autumn 2013

Lauren, you can find a lot of posts on this topic by doing some simple searches in the forums for the various New England states; for example, search for "foliage tour."

That said, two weeks is a fairly generous amount of time for a driving tour. Without trying to trace out a route for you, I'll name some of my favorite places: Cape Ann, Ipswich, and Newburyport, Massachusetts; Blue Hill and Bar Harbor, Maine; New Castle, Lake Winnipesaukee, Center Sandwich, Tamworth, Kancamagus Highway, Littleton, and Walpole, New Hampshire; Little Compton, Rhode Island. Many other beautiful places as well, but I don't spend much time in Vermont, western Massachusetts, or Connecticut.

One beautiful place to stay, with excellent food, is the Adair Inn in Bethlehem, New Hampshire: http://www.adairinn.com/.

Enjoy.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Self Drive - Autumn 2013

Thats a great help thank you... I will investigate those villages and towns I haven't heard of in more detail.

3. Re: New England Self Drive - Autumn 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:40