We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

Grand Blanc...
3 posts
Save Topic
Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

I'm looking for a beach location to celebrate my childhood friend just passing the licensure exam for counseling - and to celebrate 35 years of friendship, too! I'd like someplace not too busy, if possible, where we can hear the ocean from a condo/townhouse/hotelroom/B&B window. We'll spend most of our time chatting and walking on the beach - maybe just a little time shopping. Airfare rates are best into Providence RI, so we'll start from there with a rental car. Neither of us is at all familiar with New England.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

Please give us some idea of a time frame. No place in New England with a beach is going to be "not too busy" between Memorial Day and Labor Day! Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and 'most anywhere on Cape Cod? Forget it! But Old Saybrook (CT), Watch Hill and Westerly, Narragansett, or Block Island (RI), and Rockport (MA) might suit you nicely. Each of these are "old-fashioned" resort areas from the 19th century that didn't go the way of high-rises and/or unchecked development. An "ocean side" room at Block Island's Surf Hotel, or a suite in Rockport's Emerson Inn - to name but two - would give you a sound track of the sea with some shopping a short walk away. The drawback to BI is that you'd have to make car reservations on the ferry and pay for the privilege. (Why pay rental fees to store the wheels in a mainland parking lot?) And no lodging house in any of the places named is going to be economical during the summer; the owners have 3-4 months in which to make most of the money they'll live off until the following May.

So with that in mind, look into the locales I've mentioned and check out the TA reviews on places to stay in them. Let getting there be half the fun!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

Please give us some idea of a time frame. No place in New England with a beach is going to be "not too busy" between Memorial Day and Labor Day! Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and 'most anywhere on Cape Cod? Forget it! But Old Saybrook (CT), Watch Hill and Westerly, Narragansett, or Block Island (RI), and Rockport (MA) might suit you nicely. Each of these are "old-fashioned" resort areas from the 19th century that didn't go the way of high-rises and/or unchecked development. An "ocean side" room at Block Island's Surf Hotel, or a suite in Rockport's Emerson Inn - to name but two - would give you a sound track of the sea with some shopping a short walk away. The drawback to BI is that you'd have to make car reservations on the ferry and pay for the privilege. (Why pay rental fees to store the wheels in a mainland parking lot?) And no lodging house in any of the places named is going to be economical during the summer; the owners have 3-4 months in which to make most of the money they'll live off until the following May.

So with that in mind, look into the locales I've mentioned and check out the TA reviews on places to stay in them. Let getting there be half the fun!

Grand Blanc...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

Our trip is planned for late April or early May. I know it may be chilly, but my friend's licensure exam is in early April.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach location for 2 dear friends to celebrate friendship

To Spensworld's list, I'd add Rye Beach, NH, Ogunquit, ME, and even Provincetown, MA. Late April into early May won't be too crowded in any of these places... even P-Town.

My first choice would be to stay at the Land's End Inn in Provincetown. It's not on the beach, but high on a bluff overlooking beaches, water and the town. Some of the rooms are in "towers" and have 360 degree views! The Inn is located at the far end of town... literally at the land's end. There are some very beautiful LONG beaches within a short walk, bike ride or drive. It's about a 20 minute stroll (I'd guess 3/4 mile) into the center of town on a very pedestrian-friendly street. Many of the shops and restaurants will be open by then, but not crowded. P-Town is about 2 hours from Providence, and at this time of year, traffic is at its least irritating... especially if you don't attempt playing with the weekend warriors going to/from Boston.