We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Topic
Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Hey there, New Englanders.

I currently live in Monmouth County, New Jersey (where Sandy hit). I recently bought tickets to see Taylor Swift at Gillette Stadium next year. The concert is on Friday, July 26. I've already booked a room at the Four Points Sheraton in Norwood, north of Foxborough.

I plan to drive from the Jersey Shore all the way to Gillette Stadium on the day of the concert (I don't have the money to stay two nights in a hotel). However, I do want to check into the Sheraton, take a shower, and grab something to eat before venturing off to the stadium for the concert. (Also, if time permits, I'd like to stroll around Patriot Place.)

I've driven from Central Jersey to Gillette Stadium before. When I saw U2 at Gillette Stadium back in 2009, I took the Garden State Parkway, the NY Thruway, the Tappan Zee Bridge, the Connecticut Turnpike, and US Route 1. Unfortunately, there was construction all along the CT Turnpike. Needless to say, it took me over five hours to reach Foxborough. And this was on a Saturday afternoon/night.

Next year I plan to take the NJ Turnpike, the GWB, the CT Turnpike, and US Route 1 for my second trip to Gillette Stadium. But this time, I'll be traveling on a Friday morning. So I'm sure I'll have to fight the North Jersey traffic.

Ideally, I want to reach Norwood by the early afternoon on the day of the concert.

What time should I hit the road that morning?

Which route will take me to Norwood in the shortest amount of time?

After looking at Google Maps, I just want to hear what you guys have to say.

I appreciate any travel advice. Thanks everyone!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Where do you think you are picking up rt 1? I think you should plan 5 hrs no matter what route. Not a fun drive at any time especially summer

conn
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Don't understand Rt 1, why not look at Merrit Parkway (Rt15) in Ct, to I-91 north, to I-84 east, to Mass pike. This keeps you away from I-95, which in the summer is terrible.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Keep in mind that the show starts at 6:30 and you'll be sitting in crazy traffic from the Norwood Sheraton back down to Gillette. It is only 3 miles, but it can really back up for a concert, especially on a Friday. So you'll want to add that into your arrival estimate.

As Neslaw said, I'd plan at least 5 hours on a Friday, regardless of which way you go, but I'd avoid Route 95 at all costs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Agree with ddavep. From NYC, we take the parkways--Henry Hudson, Cross County, Hutchinson, Merritt, and Wilbur Cross, to 91 North, then 84 to Mass. Pike.

You could always go South on 91 to 95 North--but I think you'd hit more traffic.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Hey guys.

How about getting out of New Jersey?

Should I take the Garden State Parkway north, to the NY Thruway, and then cross the Tappan Zee Bridge?

Or should I take the NJ Turnpike north to the George Washington Bridge?

I figure that taking the Tappan Zee Bridge would be a longer drive. But I guess that beats the traffic on the NJ Turnpike.

What do you guys think?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

Take the Tappen Zee, which will bring you to the Merritt Parkway and you can then follow the directions above. It's a much faster route, even if a little longer distance-wise.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

I usually do same as ting but NJ 101.5 has great traffic reports every 15 minutes. Listen and be flexible

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

After the Tappan Zee- How about I take I-287 east, to I-684 north, to I-84 east (all the way through Conn.), to the Mass. Turnpike, and to I-495 (towards Foxborough)?

Would it be more troublesome to take all interstates?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

I don't particularly like the western part of 84 in Connecticut because the lanes abruptly end and the exits are wierdly marked. However, you can do that if you want all Interstates. Distance wise, the parkways are a little shorter but probably end up taking the same amount of time.

conn
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from NJ to Gillette Stadium as quickly as possible

I-84 through Ct can be a real horror story, particularly on Friday. What time of day are you driving, morning will be better than afternoon.