We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Galway, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on deciding on holiday destination. I have a wedding in Montreal the end of June and plan to travel to either Vancouver or Boston and Nantucket before or after the wedding. We are travelling from Ireland so would like to make the most of the trip. We are trying to decide between Boston or Vancouver. The price of flights is the same for both. We enjoy culture, city, water , rest , food, outdoors, sun etc ...we are open to any type of holiday!!! I will post this on the Canada forum also. Any suggestions / opinions much appreciated.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Apart from the fact that Boston is at one end of the continent and Vancouver is at the other end, thousands of miles apart, I'm not sure what else I can say. Surely it's a personal choice depending on your own preferences and tolerance of travel. Are you sure that the cost is the same? If you go to Vancouver are you planning on flying home from there?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,315 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Also make sure you factor in the cost of going to and from Montreal as well. I can't believe with all that that the airfares would be anywhere near close.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

How much time to you have? Vancouver is on the west coast ... longer flight, more time zones to adjust to. How do you plan to get between Boston or Vancouver and Montreal? It's about 300 miles (485km) between Boston and Montreal; 2800 miles (4500km) between Vancouver and Montreal.

Galway, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

I understand that Vancouver is a much longer flight. We don't mind the flights Vancouver actually is priced cheaper with an air Canada sale!!!unbelievable as its the other side of the continent. the prices include transfers to Montreal. The flight is Dublin via Toronto-Vancouver , Vancouver - Montreal. Montreal viaToronto - Dublin.

The other option is Shannon via NY to Boston, Boston to Montreal. Montreal via Chicago to Shannon. United airlines

Galway, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Vancouver 8 nights, Montreal 5. I understand that Vancouver is a much longer flight. We don't mind the flights Vancouver actually is priced cheaper with an air Canada sale!!!unbelievable as its the other side of the continent. the prices include transfers to Montreal. The flight is Dublin via Toronto-Vancouver , Vancouver - Montreal. Montreal viaToronto - Dublin.

The other option is Shannon via NY to Boston, Boston to Montreal. Montreal via Chicago to Shannon. United airlines

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

I've never been to Vancouver, but I'd chose Boston as it's a great city and closer. If you want to go to Nantucket while you're here, you'll need to rent a car in Boston, drive to the cape and then take a ferry over to the island. There are extra costs involved.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

I live in Canada and visited Vancouver back in September. I would save the time it takes to fly there and use it better visiting Boston and that area. Vancouver is nice enough, but in the end its still a relatively modern city and if you want to get out and about outside the city you are going to probably need to rent a car, just like in Boston.

I think there would be a tad more history/culture to see outside and inside Boston than there really is around Vancouver. Don't get me wrong, Im not bashing Vancouver, but I think Boston may be more your cup of tea. My sister visited from the UK a couple of years ago and they loved the city and they packed a lot into a short time.

If you rent a car you are only about 70 minutes drive from Cape Cod plus you have Plymouth etc. south of the city and then north of the city you could go to Salem and Gloucester and explore the country side around there. Thats what we did a few years ago when we stayed on the Cape in the Summer.

You are looking at at least a 5 hour flight from Montreal to Vancouver plus when you factor in all the travelling times to and from the airports and the hanging around, I would stick with Boston.

Pete

Galway, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

Thanks for the replies, yes the time traveling is a consideration, we don t want to be tired from all the travel.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,076 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

If it's really the same cost to fly to either city ( something I find literally unbelievable ) you might as well take the opportunity to see Vancouver. There are plenty of inexpensive, direct flights between Shannon and Boston so you can visit Boston on some other occasion.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston/Nantucket or Vancouver?

I've lived in and around Vancouver all my life so I'm a bit biased, but....

I spent 7 days in Boston in April 2012 (Boston Marathon). I never thought of Boston as a "destination city", but I was super impressed and I would love to go back. The history alone is absolutely amazing....

I love Vancouver and I feel a bit bad for saying this but....I vote for Boston.