We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Button Shop

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Button Shop

On temple place, off of Tremont near the Common is closing. This is an institution with drawer after drawer of buttons behind a counter. They also have yarn and knitting patterns and embroidery stuff and trim and ribbon and all sorts of notions

At one point they had 8 stores including North Shore Shopping Center and Burlington Mall. I lived very close to North Shore and bought tons of beads there as an elementary school student

I a sad to see them go. They seemed to do a good business in the last surviving store but I heard that the building owner wants to renovate.

If you're visiting you should stop by to catch a glimpse of the great old institution. It is the end of an era

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Button Shop

Although I have never considered going to the Windsor Button Shop (the name sounds familiar, but I might not even have heard of it), I agree that such closings are sad. I love old, character-filled places like that. I might have to make a pilgrimage. Thanks for the heads-up.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Button Shop

Used to have one in the south shore plaza in braintree. I lived that store

Level Contributor
7,668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Button Shop

I'm sad it's closing. Definitely an end of an era. They said that competition from chain fabric and craft stores hurt their business.

I remember first going with my mother many years ago. It was fascinating as a kid (and even now) to see every possible size, color, and style of button that you could imagine. None of the others stores can match them.

Of course, I'm still mourning the closing of Bailey's on Tremont St.!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,227 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Button Shop

Pretty sure there was one at shopper's world. and agree with Ting about Bailey's. One of my favorite places to take a date. Used to go to the one in Chestnut Hill. Everything changes. I remember when Staples was Denison

Mfg. Unfortunately, not all changes are for the best. WBS is one of those institutions that make you feel better just knowing they exist even if you weren't a customer.

The Langoliers keep eating up our yesterdays.

Level Contributor
1,947 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Button Shop

When does it finally close? I definitely want to go before they do. Where on earth will I get my "notions" after this????

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Button Shop

How sad. A major part of my childhood. Always counted on their having the perfect choice for my projects. No other place has such an extensive inventory.

7. Re: Windsor Button Shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 06:15
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now