We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Hello! I'm planning a trip as a birthday gift for my mom this summer that will be partially based around lighthouses (her favorite!), but I've never been anywhere in the area, so I could use some help.

The plan right now is to fly (from St. Louis) into Boston and rent a car, drive up to Portland, ME and spend 4ish days, drive slowly down to Cape Cod and spend 4ish days, stopping in between for random stuff, then drive back to Boston to fly home, but I have some questions:

-Is Boston the best place to fly into and out of considering we won't really spend any time in the city itself? I really want to see Boston, but it might have to wait until a different trip, it just seemed like a central location for Portland and Cape Cod, and for car rental purposes it seems easier to use the same airport for arrival and leaving.

-I know nothing about Cape Cod, so any suggestions for where to stay or what to do are appreciated, although I'm looking around trip advisor for advice also!

-Does this sound like too much driving for an 8 or 9 day trip?

-Really random question, and I know I will have to check with specific companies, but in general, do boating/tour companies for whale watching or general tours have restrictions for pregnant women? Any other awesome activities, other than drinking, that might be limited by being pregnant?

Thanks for any advice you can give me! And for the record, I'm posting this on the Maine board as well.

conn
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Check Portland Maine International Airport for flights, Southwest Air has started flights from St Louis there in April.Summer rentals on the Cape usually run 1 week, exceptions may be hotels.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Manchester NH airport would also be good - Boston is probably best (you can fly non-stop from St. Louis on Southwest I think) but you should look into flying into Portland, Manchester, Boston, or even Providence, RI. (and see what it costs to rent a car in each place). I love the Manchester airport - it's small and easy to get in and out of.

Maine was originally part of Massachusetts - the distances are not great. The drive from Portland, Maine to Provincetown, MA is only about 220 miles (less than the distance from St. Louis to Kansas City, for example).

As for lighthouses, Nauset Lighthouse on Cape Cod is very famous.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Hi, I think I'd avoid a whale watch if I were pregnant, I'd hate to be stuck out there for 3 hours when the sea was rough, but that is just me! As for the Cape, lots to see & do but as was mentioned, cottages generally rent for a one week period. Lots of nice inns, hotels and B&Bs on the Cape. Do you have an idea of your budget for accommodations yet? Here's some nice places in different towns to get you started

The Inn on the Square in Falmouth

http://www.innonthesquare.com/

The Three Seasons in Dennis

http://www.threeseasonsresort.com/

The Old Sea Pines Inn, Brewster

http://www.oldseapinesinn.com/

Edited: 25 February 2013, 06:33
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Just so you know, Boston is a really lovely compact city with lots of interesting architecture and, of course, history. It would be a shame for you to fly into Boston and never take the time to see and enjoy it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Are you planning to just see the lighthouses or are you planning to tour them??

Reason - Not all lighthouses are open & available for touring on all days. So do some research on their opening times.

Here is a list of some of the well known ones in the area that is often photographed -

Maine -

* Nubble Lighthouse - York, ME

* Portland Headlight - Portland,ME

If you really want to see many lighthouses, then I would suggest staying in mid-coast area of Maine like Rockland for couple of days. Rockland has a small Lighthouse museum and some lighthouses close to Rockland are -

* Rockland Breakwater lighthouse - Rockland, ME

* Owls Head lighthouse - Owls Head, ME

* Curtis Island lighthouse - Camden, ME

* Marshall Point lighthouse - Port Clyde, ME

* Pemaquid Point lighthouse - Pemaquid,ME

Cape Cod -

* Coast Guard lighthouse - Chatham, MA

* Nauset Lighthouse - Eastham, MA

* 3 Sisters Lighthouse (Preserved in a park nearby Nauset)

* Cape Cod Lighthouse - Truro,MA

In the above list Nubble & Curtis Island are both on an island and it can only be seen from the mainland.

NOTE - This is not a complete list, I am sure there are many more. It is just a list of some well known ones.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Thanks so much for all of the help! The lighthouse suggestions and traffic advice are definitely much appreciated. We'd like to tour one or two lighthouses, but know not all of them are open to the public, so we haven't planned too much in that area yet. We're still hoping to take a few days to see Boston as well, I just don't know if we'll have time. I'll definitely be back either way :)

Thanks also for the inn recommendations!! We haven't pinpointed an area of Cape Cod to stay in yet, but our budget is $150 or under, preferably. Those suggestions look amazing!!

Thanks again!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

Of the places I suggested, the Sea Pines in Brewster is within your budget of $150.00 per night - altho it does depend on when you are coming, I know you said summer, but early to mid June can be less expensive than late June- 4th of July until Labor day, when prices start to drop again. The Top Mast in North Truro has also been recommended here on the forum, it is basic place but the on beach location & prices are great

http://www.topmastresort.com/

8. Re: Summer trip from Maine to Massachusetts: need suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:16