We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

I am planning a vacation for my husband and I, my sister and her husband and baby, and my mom and her boyfriend. (ages 30ish-54).

We are planning on at least one night in Boston, then off to the beaches for up to 6 nights. I just can't figure out which city/area would be best for all of us as far as activities (shopping/golf/beaches) and good restaurants.

Any general advice or must-dos would be greatly appreciated!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

Cape Cod has 15 different towns (no cities!) and a lot depends on when you are coming & what your budget is. The same is true of the Vineyard. With the number of people in your group, you probably want to consider renting a house or a large condo.

Visit the Top Questions section of the Cape Cod forum and look thru the "Which town? Where should we stay on the Cape" thread for some insight into the various towns.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 04:43
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

I would not suggest the Vineyard with all those people. It'd cost you an arm and a leg between hotel, food, and ferry rides. My usual recommendation is Yarmouth as it's centrally located and has everything you need. You may also want to consider Falmouth. I'm not familiar with it too much, but there are beaches, golfing and restaurants.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

are you considering a hotel, motel, renting a home (most are a week but if you stay 6 days that could work also from an economics view point).

large budget, small budget? more you spend, closer to ocean, queter the area

small budget, then more populated area but still easily accessible to all the great stuff the cape has to offer. Both are popular ways to visit.

My general advise is to find a place to stay that works for you and you will have a great time where ever that is. Every part has its charms and you can visit whichever area you are not staying in.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

I agree with the above posts. Don't try to rent on the Vineyard, but you could easily do a daytrip there while staying on Cape Cod. For a first visit to Cape Cod, I think that any of the towns from Falmouth on the western end of the south facing coast, over to Chatham, would be good. Any of these would be fine for a week, as a base. You can explore other areas of the Cape easily. Why not begin searching the house rentals in Falmouth or Harwich or Chatham. Be sure to look at a map of the Cape while planning. Some of the town names can be a bit confusing. You have to pay the most to be on the water, a llittle less to be close to the water. You might want to consider whether you could walk to things from the rental house (e.g. a beach, shops etc.). Anyway, if you may do this I suggest looking right away. Things can book up.

I re=read your question and see you mention good restaurants. The Cape has some good simple food but is not full of fine restaurants, IMHO. However, you could also consider renting a house on the North Shore, as in Manchester, Marblehead, Gloucester. There are several good beaches there and a lot more opportunity for some fine dining in the area. It's lovely there, just different from the Cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

I agree with maxielou that the cape isn't exactly known for fine dinning. If you end up in Yarmouth, or close by, DiParma is really good. I was surprised when I ate there the first time as my expectations weren't too high.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

There are some very good restaurants on the Cape including Chillingsworth in Brewster (one of Julia Child's favorites.) Also, the Bramble Inn, also in Brewster; 28 Atlantic at the Wequasset in Chatham; Stars at Chatham Bars Inn; Blackfish in Truro; Ocean House in Dennisport. All are fine dining.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 00:03
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

Thanks all for the replies!

Yes I assumed a vacation home would be the cheaper and more comfortable route for all of us. I am going to start looking into the Cape, thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

Disagree about the Cape not having fine dining in addition to casual dining, 'shore dinners', clam shacks and the like. There is a publication that is solely about Cape dining that will illuminate the subject. There's certainly every kind of dining to suit all and especially upscale dining.

For the OP, everything that you asked for is in Dennis. There are two golf courses, 16 beaches and plenty of good restaurants including the aforementioned Ocean House. Shopping is best along 6A in Dennis and on into Brewster with lots of boutiques, galleries and quirky shops. The Cape is full of artists and these are not chain stores. For more shopping a day spent going in and out of the upscale shops that line Main St. in Chatham will soon put you on overload.

Since at least your Mother's boyfriend may desire more privacy than staying in a cottage would afford you might want to consider staying at Three Seasons or Colony Beach ON the beach in Dennisport. At either one you can enjoy the libations and meals at the Three Seasons beach bar run by Ocean House. You will be able to walk to several restaurants and a homemade ice cream shop. If you decide to leave Dennis then you are located mid-Cape with easy access on Hyw 6 to all the rest of the Cape towns.

You don't mention when you are coming to the Cape nor your budget so I am just taking a 'shot in the dark' with my suggestions. Hope it is helpful.

The Cape will not disappoint!!!

9. Re: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 05:16