We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

glasgow
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

My husband & I are coming to Boston in July & we are trying to decide on where to stay. We are looking for a town preferably close to the sea with shops & restaurants within walking distance. We have looked at Plymouth, Salem, Providence & Newport but are finding it very hard to choose. We want somewhere to chill out & relax for the last few days of our trip and would be grateful for any information or advice.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

"Chill out" means none of those places. It is the epitome of Cape Cod.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

or maybe Portsmouth, NH which is close to sea and has nice town. You could spend some time exploring ME coast if you wanted. Trying to send people away from the Cape. already too crowded... :) This would not be staying in Boston but about an hour away. If you are thinking of somehow combining this with staying in Boston, then maybe rockport would work. don't really find what you are looking for along the coast either north or south of Boston for a good ways.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,567 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Newport is really popular and will be quite crowded in July, especially on the weekends. Saturday nights especially, with the bar scene. I think a bit further out on the Cape would be quieter (except for Provincetown);people here speak highly of Chatham. I agree too that Rockport is a good idea. Small, walkable restaurants if you stay at a b&b close to the Downtown area. There is a small hotel on the Neck itself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Are you spending some time in Boston and then looking for a separate place to spend a couple days near by? I can't really tell from your post.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

The places you mentioned are pretty much tourist locations. Not really the place to chill out. Perhaps you want a country inn in a smaller town but close enough to Boston to visit.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

What do you plan to do? Are you going to see Boston at all? Providence or Newprt to Boston is a bit of a commute, although doable. Will you have a car?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Braintree Mass, south of the city

has a large mall "South Shore Plaza"

and a number of hotels close to exit 6 on I - 93

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Braintree is a terrible idea in this situation. At the intersection of 2 major highways and all it has going for it is the mall. There are at least a hundred better ideas.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Never heard of people booking a Braintree vacation to chill out. But if that's what you like to do , so be it

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Newburyport, MA would be my suggestion

Edited: 13 March 2013, 20:49