We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

Hi everyone,

We are an Australian couple visiting New England in October. We will be driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA on Saturday 5 October.

We have been trying to figure out a good route to travel for this final leg of our road trip. We would like to see some of the Massachusetts countryside, and so we contemplating driving along route 2. Have done a search of previous discussions on this, and it seems people are divided about this option.

I am just wondering if anyone could advise me if route 2 is worth it, or if another scenic option is preferable? Would like to reach Concord before lunch (planning an 8am start).

Thanks for your help!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

Well, it wouldn't be the most direct route but I think it would be scenic. You could take Route 100 south to Route 11 and then to US Route 7 in Manchester. From there south to Route 2 in Williamstown, Massachusetts. From there east to Concord. I think it would be a good trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

Agree if you haven't otherwise traveled 100 but otherwise while Rt 2 is more scenic than interstates, it is not amazing that worth extra travel time in car instead of getting to your destination.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

The distance is trivial.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

Thanks so much for your responses.

We were tossing up between the 89 through to Concord NH and then the rte 3 through to Concord MA, or the 91 and the rte 2 to Concord MA. The difference between the two routes is 20 minutes according to Google Maps.

We want to try and get to Concord early as possible (I really want to visit Orchard House and the Museum), but by the most scenic way possible. Thanks so much for any advice!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

IMHO, most scenic part of Route 2 is between Williamstown and Greenfield in Massachusetts(all points west of I-91). Even the most direct route between Woodstock & Concord through the highway will take about 2 to 3 hours, so any other route through state roads will take little longer.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

I know, we are looking a 2 hours and 45 minutes best case scenario. Would be happy to increase this driving time a little if there was a more scenic way to go. Thanks again! :)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

I've driven all over every road in the area at different times of the year. In October it might be worth taking back roads but then again, I know some gorgeous trees in Concord so you might as well just go there. Your question is practically intractable. Too many variables. If you are in a hurry, just drive to Concord. If not, drive the back roads in circles.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

I think I was among those who suggested Route 2 when you first asked this question a while ago. I still think it's a fine idea, but I also see that you are eager to get to Concord. Because of that maybe it would be better to take I-89 south. I think it is among the most scenic of interstates, and when you get south of I-89, you're still likely to see some pretty colors. Another consideration is your Saturday travel. There'll be lots of leafpeepers out and the interstates will handle the increased traffic better than the other roads.

You can always plan both options and decide that morning or the day before. If you've been so unlucky as to have rainy weather in VT and NH earlier in your trip (not trying to jinx you!) and have a beautiful Saturday, maybe you'll want to spend some extra time in VT on the slower roads and arrive in Concord a little later.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

I drove the Route 2 expanse from Boston out to Williamstown about a year ago in nice weather, and I have to say the route was a little bit challenging. The western part of it is very hilly and although I am not a nervous driver, I thought it was better to use the Mass Turnpike (Route 90) to get to western Massachusetts. In some stretches the route goes through towns, sometimes winding through many stoplights and with numerous turns.

On this basis and in the interest of efficiency, I would recommend you take I-89 which heads directly towards Boston. It has beautiful stretches, and would be much quicker.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Woodstock VT to Concord MA

Thanks everyone, you have once again helped me to clarify my thoughts on this last leg of the trip. I think I am going to opt for the I89 in the first instance, and do as rte suggests and decide the day before.

Thank you again! :)