We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

houston
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

Im a single mom, have a 7 year old daughter and want to stay on the beach. Which place should I pick? any advice I would love!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

With a seven year old, I would pick Martha's Vineyard. She might enjoy The Flying horses and a walk around the Gingerbread Cottages.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

I agree -- Martha's vineyard! Just FYI, only a few hotels are actually next to the beach. However, in Oak Bluffs, most of the B & Bs or small hotels are really close to the narrow beach there (but NOT the Wesley). As you start looking, just check out a map. There is a hotel south of Edgartown called the (oh, shoot, what's it called? It's right near South Beach). They are maybe 1/10 of a mile from the beach, but it is lovely there.

Maybe do a search on this board of Martha's Vineyard water view hotels, or something along those lines. This has definitely been discussed in the past.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

Not familiar with lodging but a general comment about choices. Both islands are very special places to visit. There is no poll of seven year olds asking them to compare. The islands are different in ways that is difficult to understand without actually experiencing them but different has nothing too do with better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

Another vote for Martha's Vineyard...

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

I too vote for MV however, if you decide that the cost of beachfront accommodations, ferry transportation, higher dining costs on the islands vs the Cape add up to more than you want to spend then consider mid-Cape Dennisport. There you can have a beachfront accommodation and with a heated pool as well. You can walk to a few casual restaurants and a famous home-made ice cream shop. Consider http://www.threeseasonsresort.com or http://www.colonybeachmotel.com/ next door. This area offers a lovely long strand to walk, typically gentle waves and no quick drop off and, in summer, lots of families. Three Seasons has a 'beach bar' for snacks or a full meal and you can dine right there even if you stay next door. More info later if you want it.

6. Re: Nantucket or marthas vineyard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:15