We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Boston

Hi, my family & I will be flying into Boston on July 4th & visiting the sights that afternoon & July 5th. We will be renting a car as our destination is a family reunion in CT. What are some of the must see attractions(we have 2 teenagers & a 10 yr old) We will be doing the Duck Tour on the 10th on our way back through. How are the trolley tours? thanks much!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston

July 4th & 5th will be a great time to be here because of the city's huge celebration of the 4th with Boston Pops and fireworks on the Esplanade along the Charles River. This is a free event, but claiming a spot entails leaving someone there all day until events begin. There is a variety of things to do during that time in conjunction with Boston Harborfest, I am not sure if the schedule of events for 2013 is available yet, but you should check out some of that. As for other things to do/see, walk the Freedom Trail, take a tour of Fenway Park, a harbor cruise, check out the Swan Boats at the Public Garden

(By the way, you do have hotel reservations in place, right?)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston

Do yourself a big favor and see Boston without a car. Rent it when it is time to go to CT

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Boston

You might enjoy the aquarium, the Museum of Science and the Freedom Trail. Also Fameuil Hall Market.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston

Hey, Rapid City!!! Not sure what time you land on July 4th. You will NOT be able to go to the Esplanade in Boston to get close to the concert -- it's a big deal and all the good spots get grabbed before noon or earlier. However, if you want, you can go over to the Kendall Square (Cambridge) stop on the Red Line and follow the crowds to the banks of the Charles River. You can get a great view of the fireworks from there. Note: the fireworks themselves never start before about 10 pm as they wait for total darkness. So you can do other things like eat dinner in Harvard Square, or anywhere. I suggest you read other posts on this board, about how to deal with the huge July Fourth thing in Boston.

Another idea for you, if the weather is nice, is the waterfront in Boston, and perhaps a cruise or a ferry ride. The boston Harbor Islands are great and the ferry leaves regularly from the wharf near the New England Aquarium. I really recommend George's island, which has the ancient star shaped stone fort, Fort Warren, occupying most of the island. You can explore all of the fort, it's really fun. Great views from the island and the ferry boat. Or, go over to see the USS Constitution, well worth a visit, really wonderful. It is part of the Freedom Trail, too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston

PS - I think the trolley tour is great. But I've never done a duck tour. The trolley tour seems more handy, since you can get on and get off wherever you want. With the duck tour, you must stay on and do the whole tour. On July 4th I might guess the duck tour would be affected by all the plans, that is, I don't know if the duck vehicles would be allowed in the Charles River that day. Just keep in mind that things will be a little extra crazy and busy on July 4th itself. Oh, and the USS Constitution has its annual big "turning around" ceremony that day, so you probably cannot plan to visit the ship just on that day. All these things would be good to check out.

I agree with Forgotmypword, don't bother renting your car until right before you are headed to Connecticut.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston

They've always got a lot of security, but you can expect MAJOR security at the fourth this year. Major. No need to explain why. Be sure to check the rules and see what they are before going near the Esplanade or other areas.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston

Here is a link to the Harborfest web site, listing activities around Boston during the Fourth of July holiday.....So much to do around the city!

www.bostonharborfest.com/mainevents.html

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston

Thanks all for your recommendations. I've been checking the sites for hotels. Will only be in Boston the afternoon of July 4th & spend all of the 5th touring. What is public transp like from the airport hotels? We plan on some siteseeing on the evening of the 4th (realizing the festivies downtown). What would be an idea to do on the early evening of the 4th? Also, will need to park downtown for siteseeing on the 5th----what is that like?

9. Re: Visiting Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:18