We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

Hello,

Im first time in States at the end of June and Im planning to take a car trip from Boston to Cape Cod and then from there to Niagara Falls via Adinordac Mountains. I have one week for this trip and I was thinking how to use the time between Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains. What do you recommend defanatelly to do in Cape Cod and in Adinordack Mountains? And what rout do you recommend to take form Cape Cod to Adinordac Mountains? Are there anything to see in between? Should I take smaller roads or is it better to take the highway?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

One week is really not much time for all of this. Are you planning on spending any time in Boston? If you're flying into Boston I'd recommend staying there for 3 days, then renting a car and going to the cape for 3 days. Then to Niagara Falls (another 3 days). Although, you're going in one direction and then the opposite direction. If your plan involves flying in and out of Boston, do the cape first, then Niagra, and then end in Boston. I've never been to the Adirondacks as far as I know. If you truly only have a week I'd just stick with Niagara and Boston, skip the cape.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

Thank you! Im spending 3 days in Boston before this one week trip. This week is just for the trip. I can also spend one extra day in Niagara Falls before taking the train to NY.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

Were you planning to stay in Boston for any length of time? You really do not have enough time for it all. The Cape is quite large. It is over a 7 hour drive from Boston to Niagara Falls, plus the time you want to spend in the Adirondacks.

I think that you should reexamine what you really want to see and do. There are things to see and do on a trip from Boston/Cape Cod to Niagara but you do not have much time. What are you interested in? Historical? Scenic? Cultural?

If you do go to the Adirondacks I would recommend visiting the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake and Lake Placid. On Cape Cod the National Seashore Visitor Center in Eastham is worth visiting.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

Is the week just for the drive to Niagara or does it include the time you plan to spend on the Cape?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

My (optimistic) plan in the beginning was:

D1: Starting from Boston at 9 AM, final destination at night should be Provincetown. The trip should be 2-3 hours, so plenty of time for stops.

D2: From Provincetown to National Seashore Visitor Center + just seaside.

D3: Day trip to Martha´s Wineyard

D4: Starting early in the morning a trip to Adirondacks, probably to Blue Mountains.

D5: Adirondacks

D6: Adirondacks

D7: From Adirondacks to Niagara Falls ( should be 5-6h ride). Arrive there at night to see it in dark (not sure how dark it would be there in the beginning of July)

D8: extra day in Niagara Falls. Night train to NY.

But maybe its better to spend more time in Cape Cod, skip Adirondacks and just take a 2-days trip from Cape Cod to Niagara Falls with spontaneous stops meanwhile :)

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

That looks like a good plan.

1st, you do know you would be better off without a car in Boston. Pick up the rental when you are done and ready to go to the Cape.

2nd, the cape is all about beach time, IMO. Maybe steal an extra day on the cape from the Adirondacks. Maybe not...

3rd, It's a 9+ hour drive from the cape to Niagara Falls, so good to split that up over a couple days. I've never been to upstate NY, so take some time and look at a good map for attractions that might interest you. Lots of forests, lakes and St. Parks. Probably best to stick to the highway and get off it when you want to stop. Check googlemaps for a travel route.

4th, you want the Canadian side of the falls, not the American. The american side is highly industrial! I'd probably add an extra day for the falls. Looks like you are there for no more than 24 hrs.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

IMHO, you are trying to cover too much ground in too little time. I don't think you give a timeframe but if during summer, then additional traffic will put you in car for much more time than Mapquest suggests. I suggest staying somewhere in the Chatham to Wellfleet. After visiting Ptown you would drive back about 20-30 miles. this puts you at or near the Natl seashore and gives you a reasonble ride to Hyannis for fast ferry to MV and back to hotel.motel for last night.

I don't see how you get to Adirondacks as they are upstate and you are heading dead west thru NY. Maybe stopping in finger lakes region makes sense. You should post in NY for better info. If you look at your travel times, I think you will agree the most important part of this trip is a comfortable car with good gas mileage.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

Suggest that you forget the Adirondacks and even the Finger Lakes, both are further off the N.Y. Thruway than you might think. Spend some time in the Berkshires before leaving the Mass Turnpike for the N.Y. Thruway. Lots of lovely little towns. Howe Caverns near Albany are worth a visit if you like caves. Lovely mountain views from there. www.howecaverns.com

9. Re: From Boston to Niagara via Cape Cod and Adinordack Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:19