We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Hotel Location

ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Possible Hotel Location

We'd like to visit Massachusetts in August and are considering staying at the Comfort Inn North Shore in Danvers. From there we could do day trips to Salem, Marblehead, Revere Beach and Boston. We've been to Gloucester several times. We like beaches, lighthouses and seafood. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Hotel Location

With a car, I think that's a reasonable plan.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Hotel Location

I assume you have been to Rockport and Newburyport, too?  

If you love beaches then a visit to Crane's Beach in Ipswich is a must!  

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma…

You might want to consider a Boston Lighthouse Tour 

www.bostonharborislands.org/tour-lighthouse

I would recommend taking the Salem Passenger Ferry to Boston. Great views of the harbor and they offer a narration of the area  during the ride. 

bostonharborcruises.com/salem-ferry/schedule…

I would also recommend taking a drive north to Nubble light in York, Maine

It is a nice drive along route 1A &1B thru Hampton Beach, Rye, New Castle and Portsmouth, NH then over to Kittery, Maine to York

(great lobster roll at Latitudes in New Castle, NH at the Wentworth By The Sea) 

Enjoy! 

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Hotel Location

Danvers isn't very scenic, but as long as you intend to just sleep in the room and spend all your time out and about day tripping, it sounds fine to e.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Hotel Location

Yes, the Comfort Inn is well-located for all the places you named--and for all of Remay's excellent suggestions as well. You will have easy access to Route 1 north and south (a map may make access to 1 north look confusing, but in fact, it's really easy) and will not be far from Route 128 for trips to Cape Ann.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Hotel Location

Excellent access to the CostCo in Danvers (although the entrance is a little hidden behind some kind of adult video warehouse as you drive north on route 1). Full service Costco with gas station (best place to buy gas in the area) and a liquor store.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Hotel Location

I meant to comment above that you will also have good access to Salem and Marblehead (given that you can only reach those places via secondary roads). From the Comfort Inn, I'd suggest taking Centre St. to Hobart St. to Route 35 in Danvers Square and on to Salem; this will avoid a highly congested stretch of Route 114 in Danvers and Peabody.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Hotel Location

Also, if your visit is in early August, you may be able to visit the Hospital Point Lighthouse in Beverly during Beverly Homecoming Week (it's open to the public just a few days a year). It is absolutely worth the climb!

ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Hotel Location

Thanks for all the great advice!

9. Re: Possible Hotel Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:17