We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our East Coast Itinerary (NYC, Cape Cod, Boston, elsewhere?)

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our East Coast Itinerary (NYC, Cape Cod, Boston, elsewhere?)

My girlfriend and I plan to spend 11 days in the Boston / Cape Cod area in August (both first timers to the area). We will be coming from NYC on August 5th (either by train or plane, both seem to be quite cheap) and we have a flight home to London from Boston on the evening of August 16th. We are looking for this to be the relaxing bit of our holiday, exploring Boston and the different beaches and towns on the Cape at an unrushed pace (including a day trip to Martha's Vineyard). My initial plan was to pick up a car in Boston and head down to Cape Cod for 8 days (basing ourselves at the Liberty Hill Inn in Yarmouthport and exploring the area from there) then drop car off in Boston and spend 3 days in Boston before flying home.

We plan to do more research on where we want to visit on the Cape and Boston, but I just wanted some feedback on what that sounds like as an initial plan? In particular, thoughts on whether 8 days in the one B&B is too long?

Any alternative itinerary suggestions or comments would be most welcome. For example, should we spend a couple of days on one of the islands off the Cape? Or perhaps spend less time on the Cape and spend a couple of days in Newport or somewhere north of Boston (e.g. New Hampshire / Vermont)? Or we could take a detour to Philadelphia or Washington DC for a couple of days after we leave NYC?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our East Coast Itinerary (NYC, Cape Cod, Boston, elsewhere?)

Personally I think 8 days is a lot on the cape, but it really depends on what you envision for your vacation. As I suggested in my response to your other post you could go to Newport for a day or two. My other suggestion would be to stay in Boston a few more days and do some day trips from there like Salem or southern NH. I wouldn't bother going to DC or Philly. That would be one heck of a detour. If you do stay on the cape the whole time you can go to one of the islands one day, P-town another day, Falmouth another day, etc. You'd find things to do.

2. Re: Our East Coast Itinerary (NYC, Cape Cod, Boston, elsewhere?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:19