We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

We always end up staying at the Marriott - either the Courtyard or the full service ones (Woburn North, Burlington and Newton). We don't like the Fairfield Inn - paid for one room once and didn't even sleep there when I saw it (Dedham).

But years ago, I remember having to go to a more moderately priced motel somewhere near Westboro and pretty much like it! 20 years ago.

I would like to know, of the chains in Massachusetts, what ones do you find the most, say, high quality, comfortable, sound proof (I don't sleep well listening to someone else's TV), etc.?

Are we making a mistake to pay, say $160 at a Courtyard (high season) when we could pay much less at a Comfort Inn or La Quinta? I have no memory of ever stepping into one of those.

I don't care about the food issue. We never eat at the hotel. We do want free parking.

Any opinions appreciated. And yes, I do know about the TA ratings and stars given for various motels. I want to see written opinions here.

Many thanks!

(Former Massachusetts resident who returns for friend and family visits.)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,079 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

That is what the TA reviews are. People often write in great detail about the good, the bad and the ugly. Have you read through those? What area will you be staying in?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

OK, I see your point. I was just worried about this: I know I am being annoying <ss> but it seems to me that there are travelers who like "better" hotels and motels and there are those who don't mind the "less luxurious" ones. I like: a great, truly comfortable bed, relatively thick walls so you don't hear your neighbor as much (you still do somewhat even at a Courtyard, but it's not much), and that is about it. Clean, of course.

I am not asking for too much. But now that I think about it, we really like a place that has the better quality mattresses. I am an old fogey, I guess <gg>. We are very healthy but older (the over 62 crowd).

Also, although I will follow your advice, I must say that I see few reviews that talk about what I mentioned above and they don't usually know what a more expensive hotel is like (such as a full service Marriott or Sheraton) to even compare. At least, they don't indicate that. They seem to always have gravitated towards the cheaper hotels and motels and I have no gauge with which to compare their perspective.

Thanks.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 16:56
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

We very rarely stay in motels or hotels because we rent for most vacations. Our stays in motels are usually for one night so we wouldn't bother paying the high price of a full service hotel. We have stayed in everything from The Red Roof Inn to Hampton Inns, Comfort Inns and Suites, and a few individually owned motels over the years. On the whole they have all been ok, a few not so good but nothing too seriously wrong.

The main thing always is that they should be clean and easily accessible from whichever highway we are travelling on. Nothing worse than having to search for a motel on unfamiliar roads after a day of driving. If breakfast is available or included that's a bonus, saves having to go searching for a place to eat. A nearby restaurant for some dinner, even if it's a chain, is good.

We are going to be staying in a Fairfield Inn for the first time in September. Hope we like it, what was the problem with the one you didn't stay in?

Edited: 04 July 2013, 18:12
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

Thanks.

The problem was that it was way, way less comfortable looking and quiet than the Courtyard nearby.

I do not feel I could not do a Fairfield, but it is a huge, huge step downwards and the beds are not as good, not nearly as nice and comfy.

And it had a low-rent feel to it: Perfectly nice guests but they were all men going to some hockey tournament and just looking to bunk cheaply somewhere I guess.

I am not looking for advice as to where the hotel is. I am extremely familiar with the territory but thanks anyway! <sss>

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

You obviously have strong views of what you like and don't like, so stick to the kind you like and you should be ok. What other people think about a lower priced motel is really not going to help you. By the way, $160 a night is hardly high end,

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

OK, thank you. And I think you are correct on all counts.

RE: the $160, yes, it is so cheap for Boston, but we go to Woburn, Burlington, etc. and have paid for a pretty darn nice room (once it came with breakfast for 2, full buffet, in the Burlington Marriott, all for $95 a night!!) at under $100 a night, but usually it is around $150 averaging it out. (We are cheapskates and pick the cheaper times if we can.)

However, there are times when we must pay, say, $170 to $180 and I sometimes wonder about that Comfort Inn down the road....

Edited: 04 July 2013, 19:14
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

Why don't you just use the hotels you already know you like?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

You can pay about 100- for a 3.5-4 star on Priceline -Hotwire.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

Because we just wondered if we can get a good room in a lower star hotel during the expensive season and save up to $600 per trip.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The quality of lower priced hotels and motels?

Thanks - don't want to take the chance. There are few ones we want to chance that offer free parking (a must).