We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 'touring' plan please

ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 'touring' plan please

We are headed to Boston at the end of Aug. We are driving from Buffalo, Ny and I would love some input on our schedule/plan. We will start out with a night in Buffalo on Thurs aug 22, Then on fri 23 we want to see some of the finger lakes region in particular Watkins Glenn park. I had originally planned to head to Saratoga Springs for Sat 24th,but since that is Traverse Day we will go there on the way back.

heres where I am not sure what to do, and I need to make a plan: Where do we go now?

Places we want to visit are Salem and GLoucester(MA) for Whale watch, Plymouth, MA for plantation, and Newport, RI for mansions. Then back to Saratoga Springs, NY (was thinking Aug 29th) for race and home.

I was hoping to arrive in Boston on sun Aug 25 for a three nights stay. and be home by Sat Aug 31. I just don't know how much time would be best for these places. I was thinking about staying in Plymouth for 2 nights and travelling to Newport from there. We wanna hit up the beach too for a down day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention we have kids aged 17(girl), 10, and 7.(boys). We appreciate any suggestion even with accommodations. I generally like to use priceline/hotwire and we are open to camping for 2 or 3 nights.

Thanks in advance!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 'touring' plan please

If I'm reading this correctly you'll be in Boston the 25th, 26th and 27th. You want to be back in NY for Saratoga on the 29th. So, really you only have the 28th that you want to go to Newport, Salem, Gloucester and Plymouth? Maybe I'm confused. Maybe when you're in Boston those three days you could do Salem and Gloucester. Then the 28th do Plymouth. I don't see time for Newport (or relaxing on the beach).

ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 'touring' plan please

i can play with my dates within that week. need to decide for the 24th, 28th and 23rd, 29/30th if needed, could always do Watkins Glen on the way home if needed. Also on Sun I was thinking that we can not check into Boston hotel till afternoon so that gives us some time there too. It looks like Newport is only 1hr from plymouth. we will only be touring one mansion, and possible check out the walking path, I figured that might take half a day.

My original plan was Finger lakes to Saratoga, to Boston, to Gloucester then to plymouth(28,29-plantation and beach day.) and drive down to RI on the 'loop' back home, but traverse day in saratoga gets in the way. Could always do Saratoga on the 30th. I only planned to do whale watch in Gloucester in the AM, then check out salem for the afternoon which ever day we decide.

Sorry if original message was confusing, i guess thats how I am feeling lol. Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 23:44
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 'touring' plan please

That seems to me to be too many places to cram into your time frame, plus a down day at the beach. If I had to plan an itinerary for a family, it would be:

8/25 Arrive Boston, check in and unpack, sightsee a bit and dinner

8/26 Sightsee Boston

8/27 Day trip to Plymouth

8/28 Day trip to Salem and Gloucester

8/29 Head to Sarasota Springs (there are several nice beaches near Gloucester, so you could

Postpone Sarasota until 8/30 and have your beach day on 8/29)

I'm not saying that this is the way to go for you and your family, but just giving you a reasonable idea of what you can feasibly do with the amount of time that you have.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 23:54
4. Re: Help with 'touring' plan please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:19