We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

We are flying into Boston September 25 for a four night stay. We have never been north of D.C. And would like some advice. We would love to see some fall foliage along with the coastline. Could you please advise us on an itinerary. We fly out of Boston Sunday afternoon.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

September 25th is way too early to see foliage color except in far northern New England - and away from the coast. So I'm not quite sure how you're going to work all that.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,467 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

It is not a precise science ... But most likely the leaves will barely starting to turn in the Boston Area.

You should consider renting a car upon arrival, driving north 2.5 - 3 hours to the White Mountains of NH. Possible locations to stay are the NH towns of Jackson, North Conway, Lincoln or Woodstock. Then drive back to Boston, return the car and spend the rest ofvyour time in the city.

I do not recommend reversing this and doing Boston before NH because weekend traffic to/from NH can be heavy. doing the NH portion of the trip on weekdays will be more relaxing than the opposite.

Happy Planning !

Edited: 31 July 2013, 03:47
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Yes, agreed that weekend is too early to see foliage in southern New England and a drive up into northern NH or VT would be needed to see some foliage. Also, the colors are usually at their prime inland instead of along the coast.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 12:28
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Thanks so much for the info. Would it be a good idea to spend one night there then work our way out to some coastal point for another night? If so, where would you suggest?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Thanks for your reply. What area of Boston would you recommend a first time tourist staying?

Boston...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

If you want to see some foliage and coastal, I'd recommend Maine. You could stay in Portland or a small coastal town, and then take a foliage trip during the day. You wouldn't have the mountain views as say North Conway, but you could combine coastal and foliage, and you could go Apple Picking and such as well.

For Boston, I'd recommend staying near Boston Common or the Back Bay if you can-- great central location!

Boston...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Oh, and when I say a small coastal town, I'm thinking one like Belfast, since it's further up in Maine...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Thank you. Also, once we get back to Boston will we need to keep the car rental?

Boston...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

Ditch the car rental. You won't need it. Boston is very walkable, and you can take the T too. Also, parking is really expensive if you stay downtown.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston arriving sept 25 for four nights

You will need your car to go up north, however. Kate just means while you are staying in Boston.