We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

Oldest is visiting BU around Columbus Day, and we have Friday afternoon and Saturday morning to do other things in Boston.

We plan to either stay in Boston all day Sunday and most of Monday and then drive home to NJ, or go somewhere near or on the way home for Sunday and Monday. We lean more towards walking/hiking, outdoor stuff, rather than shopping or tourist traps.

The question is whether we should stick to Boston, or check out Cape Cod, or consider the Sturbridge area. We would also consider a "road trip" back home, and stay in NY in the lower Adirondacks or Catskills, but we are leaning towards Cape Cod just to see the lay of the land. We have been to Sturbridge Village a few times, and liked it, but not sure what else to do near there.

Any thoughts? What would you do with two days after Boston in October, stay for more or go somewhere else in Massachusetts or beyond?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

Any other colleges your son/daughter may be interested in? Northeastern is close to BU and similar. We have a ton of great colleges in a small area. With a short amount of time I would recommend staying in Boston. If he/she has a serious interest in BU, a tour of the surrounding area would be a good idea. Going to the cape would be really out of the way and in my opinion, best enjoyed in the summer.

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

Any tours you could recommend, or should we go it alone? Not sure if we'll have 2, just an adult and a teen, or 2 adults and 3 kids, so some walking is okay, but a trolley type thing would be better.

Reasonably priced brew pub recommendations nearby would be appreciated :)

(and anywhere reasonable to stay in Boston, or is under $300 per night a pipe dream?)

Edited: 27 August 2013, 19:21
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

Get your foot-in-the-door reservations ASAP. And brace yourself. They will be expensive.

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

We are looking to stay in Billerica, because of both availability and price. We'd pay $300 per night if we could get really close to campus, but again, rooms are taken.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

I'm not familiar at all with the Billerica area, but it's preferable to stay in the city. Have you tried www.lastminutetravel.com? If you look at the site with an ipad, the hotel names are visible. I know someone on here said that glitch had been fixed, but I just used it last night and could see everything. October is very expensive in Boston unfortunately. As for tours, Boston is a very walkable city. You should check out the freedom trail. There's also a hop on hop off bus and duck tours. Good luck!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

That's a nice time to visit the Cape. No big traffic worries. In addition to the obvious beach attractions along the National Seashore, there's a great hike on Great Island in Wellfleet.

Alternatively, head out from Boston to the northwest. Visit Walden Pond and the Minuteman historic park. Stop at Fruitlands in Harvard. Continue on Route 119 up to Jaffrey, NH, and hike up Mt Monadnock. From there it's an easy drive down south along I-91. Or go out to the Berkshires. Hike October Mtn or Alander Mtn. See BashBish Falls. Visit the beautiful Bartholomew's Cobble in Sheffield.

Many choices...

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

My husband is interested in Cape Cod just for what qubbin says, lack of crowds, lack of traffic. We would like to do the Great Island hike.

Any thoughts on what place to stay on Cape Cod? I have to assume that if places are open, they have heat :)

8. Re: Boston college visit then what - 2 days in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18