We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Brand new. Apparently just officially announced...

http://www.novastarcruises.com/

novastarcruises.com/files/4913/8394/1236/Nov…

I know that this is out of place here, but many Bostonians and Boston visitors used to do this.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Great news, thank for sharing!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Cool.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

that is great news! My parents have a place outside of Yarmouth, much easier to take the ferry from ME then drive to St. Johns!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Whew. ...Relief that the first response wasn't, "But you do know it belongs..."

@caffe_espresso:

May Yarmouth be renewed. In recent years, when researching whether the ferry was returning, I read that it became an instant abject ghost town.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 16:44
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

I hope so too, Yarmouth was dramatically impacted once the Cat stopped operating. The folks of Yarmouth and Nova Scotia are lovely and it is a great place to visit.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Yarmouth used to get both the Cat and the Scotia Prince/(Prince of Fundy?).

The Nova Star ought to be successful as the only one going, this round. In fact, while it's reason for Portland to be enthusiastic, maybe just the one ship is one reason why comments in Halifax's media are mixed.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 17:42
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

Updates (it's to start May 15):

novanewsnow.com/News/…1

http://novastarcruises.com/

NovaStar had people at the Boston travel expo, but they were at a loss to talk about fares ... "Keep watching."

[I have no connection with the company.]

ETA: Pay no attention to the date above. Sounds like it's really going, this time.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 20:02
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

We just sailed on this ferry last month. Suffice to say, though we had round-trip tickets, we came home a different way. We took the overnight from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. For us, just trying to get from A to B, this was fine: we boarded, walked around the boat, bought my boys $15 worth of french fries (a la carte at the buffet), and then went to bed.

There is smiling staff everywhere, and the boat was clean. But if you are a family traveling, bring your own entertainment--and have it downloaded because wifi is $5/hr per tablet/laptop/whatever. There is a tiny corner of the ship devoted to tiny people, but there is zero entertainment for older children and teens--or boring adults. No movies, no arcade games. I did hear there is a movie during the day trip in one of the lounges.)

So unless you are in it to party and gamble, I suggest taking the night boat for a good rock-a-bye sleep on the water, and taking the smaller ferries and driving if traveling during the day--especially if you have 3 sea-sickers, as in my family. (2 dramamine and lights out makes the night boat sleeping even better!)

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

boston.com/business/…story.html

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Portland - Nova Scotia ferry from May 1, 2014

It's coming back! Just received this in an email:

"We are pleased to announce that we are now taking reservations for the 2015 season. As a previous guest on Nova Star, we wanted to make sure you heard the news!

We’ve made a number of changes to make our pricing more flexible, and added special discounts to give customers more choices and ways to save. Our new reservations system also features a handy quote wizard so you can quickly find out the exact cost of your trip.

For details on our sailing schedule and promotions, or to book a trip, please visit our website at www.novastarcruises.com.

or call 866-864-6295.

We sincerely hope you’ll choose to sail with us again in 2015. In the meantime, please “opt in” to our email list, to ensure you stay up to date with everything that’s going on at Nova Star Cruises.

Best regards,

Nova Star Cruises"

I seriously wondered, after last year's losses. Looks as though they're addressing price point, which I believe was their problem last year. Wonder if they'll have a booth and special deal at the travel show this weekend. Anyway, very good news, IMO.