We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lawrence to NYC

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Lawrence to NYC

I am planning a visit to Lawrence, MA in mid January and while I am there I am hoping to travel to New York to visit some friends. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best way to get there? I was hoping to take the train, but it seems that I can only find train rides from Haverhill to Boston? I was also wondering about the difference between Boston North Station and Boston Back Bay, many trains say self transfer between the two, which I don't understand. How do I get between the two within the 10 minute limit it gives me? Would it be easier to take a bus? Please help, I am in so cal and I know nothing about east coast trains and such! Thank you so much for any help.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lawrence to NYC

How are you getting to Lawrence in the first place?

There is a commuter rail from Lawrence to North Station. It is not in anyway connected to the trains and busses to New York, which leave from South Station. It will take you more than 10 minutes to get from North Station to South Station either by foot, taxi, or subway (I think, I guess, it might be possible to make that walk in 10 minutes - I have not googled it).

There are really good, incredibly cheap busses that run between South Station and New York. Checkout megabus.com and Bolt Bus.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lawrence to NYC

You would take the commuter rail from Haverhill to Boston. Then take Amtrak from Boston to New York City. The commuter rail from Haverhill goes to North Station, but Amtrak runs from either South Station or Back Bay. You cannot get to either station from North Station in 10 minutes, even by taxi. You'd be better off taking an early train from Haverhill that would give you more time to get to either South Station or Back Bay station.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lawrence to NYC

The link, or lack of one, between South Station and North Station is one of the weakest parts of the Boston transportation system, in my opinion. "Self-transfer" basically means you're on your own. You can take the subway (see www.mbta.com), take a taxi, or walk about 20 minutes, but in no case is 10 minutes enough time. (Well, I suppose you could try a taxi if you were desperate, and you might make it if it were during a low-traffic period, but it's not practical).

I think the Andover commuter rail station is closer to Lawrence than Haverhill is, although it might depend on where you are in each town. You can find the commuter rail schedules on that same MBTA site. All trains from that area go to North Station, so you'd need to "self-transfer."

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess there's a station in Haverhill too.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:29
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lawrence to NYC

All south and westbound trains leave from South Station and stop at Back Bay Station. All northbound trains leave or end at North Station. The walk between the two is about half an hour - not 10 minutes. You could take a taxi in 10 minutes, though. What 10 minute limit are you talking about, by the way? For you, the bus is probably more convenient, as you may be able to get one from Lawrence.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lawrence to NYC

As noted in post #1, the MBTA commuter rail Haverhill line stops in Lawrence. Service in Boston is from North Station.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:39
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lawrence to NYC

Take an earlier train to North Station. Walk or take the T to South Station. Grab a bite along the way, or have a meal at South Station. Relax in the station until your train.

Leaving from South Station is nicer than from Back Bay. It's a full service station and it's where the train starts,

maps.google.com can show you how to do this. Put Penn Station, NYC as your destination, then enter Lawrence, MA as your starting. Hit the train icon in the directions section. When the transit directions come up, click on the link where it shows you the time of the next available trip. You can then adjust the time to when you would want to leave (such as a Tuesday morning at 8am).

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lawrence to NYC

The confusion about Haverhill vs. Lawrence is because Haverhill is served by the Amtrak Downeaster as well as the MBTA, whereas Lawrence is served only by the MBTA. The Amtrak trip planner restricts you to Amtrak trains will send you on Amtrak service from Haverhill to North Station with a self-transfer to South Station (or Back Bay) for the train to NYC. The Google directions as in post #6 will take you on the MBTA rail from Lawrence.

8. Re: Lawrence to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:18