We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the forums these past few weeks, but thought it was best to open up my own topic for some info.

Basically 2 of us are arriving in Boston on 3rd July, We plan to stay there until the 7th before heading up to Salem for 2 days. We plan to be in NY on the 12th so we can meet up with friends.

Question is, where to spend our 3 days (9th/10th/11th) in between Salem and NY?

Initially I had always thought of getting the ferry from Boston - Provincetown, heading down the Cape and spending a couple of days in Wellfleet and the last night in Provincetown before catching the morning ferry back to Boston, then a quick change over onto the train and down to NY. I then began to think of the idea of hiring a car in Boston and heading up state to Bar Harbor.

The majoirty of our 3 week trip will be spent in cities, so we were looking for somewhere to relax and chill out for a couple of days.

The beaches near Wellfleet (Cahoon Hollow Beach) look stunning, although I don't know if the town itself has much to offer. I've an interest in photography, so the sunsets on the beach in the evenings and clear night skies would be right up my street.

However I was thinking the trip up to Bar Harbor would have more to offer, with more countryside to see, towns to visit, and obviously the scenery that's on offer at Acadia National Park. Plus a bit more to do at night than whats probably in Wellfleet?

Any advince, tips, info is greatly appreciated.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

If you are looking for nightlife you will find all you can handle in Provincetown, which is no distance at all from Wellfleet. For a scenic view, nothing beats driving up the mountain in the evening in BH. I am a bit baffled by the idea of two nights in Salem.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Keep in mind that Bar Harbor will be a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive from Boston, so that is almost 10 hours of driving in three days, just to get there and back. You have time planned in two cities, Boston and NYC, so a few days in Wellfleet on a scenic beach might be some well-deserved chill time. I think that the Provincetown ferry/Wellfleet idea would appeal to me more because more of my time would be spent relaxing on the beach/hanging out in P'town rather than driving in the car to Bar Harbor and back. Also, Salem can be visited in a day trip from Boston. You certainly can stay there two nights, but lots of people make it a day trip on the ferry or by commuter rail.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,815 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

If you really want to go to Acadia, I would cut a night off the Salem Stay. Go to Acadia, leave there the day before you train and spend the last night on the Southrn Maine coast ... perhaps Ogunquit or on the New Hampshire Coast in Portsmouth. Then the next day you will be fairly close to Boston for the last leg of the drive.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

Agree about Salem. I think Salem must advertise heavily to get the level of attention it gets. About what is photogenic, both places would be extremely photogenic. Both are wonderful destinations. I would rate the natural beauty higher in Acadia. P'town is a better town as far as being in town goes. BTW, Acadia (the main part of the park) has about 4 towns. Then you can factor in distance to each destination. To save time going to Acadia, take the inland highway, not the coastal route. At least do that in one direction. I suggest getting your Boston hotel soon, since July 4 is such a big deal here.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

Guys, thanks for the great advice.

I think we might take the day of the Salem trip, and give ourselves an extra day in Boston or upstate. Still undecided between the road trip and the Cape. Spending 4 days on the road may not be the most relaxing of ideas but would be a good way of adding a few extras towns onto our tour.

On the other hand Wellfleet, from what I read may not have a lot to do other than to lie about and relax, although the scenary and the Wellfleet Beachcomber looks like its worth a visit.

It will either be

4 days Boston / 1 day Salem/ 3 days Cape

3 days Boston/ 1 day Salem/ 4 days on the road

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

Either way, you will have a great trip!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

Booked the extra day in Boston, considering we arrive on the 3rd afternoon. Out all day on the 4th, and on the 5th we'll probably not be fit to go too far. So still enough days left to tour about the city.

8. Re: Where to spend 3 days? Cape Cod or Road Trip to Bar Harbor.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:19