We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days to kill in New England?

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 days to kill in New England?

Hi,

I am going to be in NYC until the 9th May and then need to be in New Orleans by the 12 or 13th so have 3 or 4 days up my sleeve.

I had the idea that I could fly down to NOLA from Boston and spend my free days visiting Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and/or Nantucket.

Is this feasible or would I spend the whole time in transit? I don’t currently plan to hire a car but am not opposed to the idea so long as rental isn’t extortionate.

Is there anywhere else people can suggest that might be a bit more doable in the time frame I have? Maybe within NY state/Connecticut?

Basically I would just like to go somewhere on the coast that is a bit cute and sea-sidey but not too touristy/tacky. I liked the sound of renting a bike and exploring Martha’s vineyard but am not a massive outdoorsy/wilderness person. Somewhere with good seafood would be a huge bonus…

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

You really need a car to explore Cape Cod. And you understand that Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are islands, so you would need to either take a ferry or fly there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

Speaking from the weather point of view, early May is "early spring". The Cape and Islands will be quiet. You certainly can fly to MV, Nantucket or Provincetown and bike around but it will be quiet

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

If you're going to be in NYC, you might consider the Hamptons which is a coastal area out on Long Island. It too will be quiet in early May, but prices will be less expensive. With the short amount of time that you have, it will be quicker for you to get there from NYC and have more time to sightsee and enjoy. Post on the NY boards for more info.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

You can do it, although you'd need to spend some time getting from NYC to get to the Cape & islands. Don't in any case think of visiting both islands- too much time in transit. Does anyone know when the smaller ferry lines begin running to MV? For example, a ferry from New Bedford, MA goes to MV, but I suspect it is seasonal. New Bedford is closer to NYC, but may not be easy for you to reach, and the ferry would not take cars.

It would be quickest, I believe, for you to fly to one of the islands if an island is your goal. Try Cape Air. They may have flights from one of the NY airports. Once there you can rent a bicycle. It's easy to get around the populated part of MV without a car. Read some posts on this board.

But to avoid all of these logistics, maybe just visit Cape Cod, then return the car in Boston. BTW, there is an airport in Providence Rhode Island too. The Cape (& Boston) would be well worth your 3 days. Lots of cute villages, beautiful coastline, salt marshes, main streets, some tacky and commercial areas but they are OK, too. It would be very beautiful in May.

Another idea would be Rhode Island, inc Newport, but you'd need a car.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

Is budget a factor? I happened to notice that you are on a shoe string hotel budget for your New Orleans trip.

For coastal destinations, do you realize that early May can still be a chilly right at the shore? It's still beautiful, but just wanted to make sure that doesn't change your perspective. For instance, the average high temp for May 11 in Nantucket is 58 F, avg low 48.

Are you actually planning on spending time in Boston? Or are you just thinking that the airport is convenient for beaches? If Boston isn't on your "to do" list, you might consider heading a bit south instead of north for slightly milder temperatures and warmer beaches.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

Fly from NYC to Martha's Vineyard on Jet Blue/Cape Air and get around on the island on the $1 shuttle between the towns though you will need a taxi from the airport. Then fly to Boston and on to NOLA. Stay at a B&B for the best innkeeper advice. If you like this idea and can work it out then ask for recommendations for accommodations on the Martha's Vineyard forum. Be sure to state your preferences, budget if any and the rest of your wish list to get the best advice. Enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I wasn't initially planning to spend time in Boston itself as I thought it would be nice to get out of the city for a few days, however a lot of my friends on FB are strongly recommending Boston, so I'm now reconsidering.

Budget is a tricky one. This is a small detour on a longer trip (~6 months) with my partner. He's heading off to DC and Ohio to see a friend and ride some rollercoasters, neither of which are on my to-do list, so I'm doing my own thing for a few days. So, the answer is that, while we have cash in hand, we need to be sensible about where/how we spend it.

Flights to NOLA cost the same from either NY or Boston at the moment and I'd probably use Amtrak / Bus for the bits in between.

One of my friends recommended basing myself in Boston for the 4 days, then getting the ferry (?) across to Providence Town Cape Cod. Is a day trip or would I want to stay overnight?

Thanks again!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

It looks like the Provincetown ferry does not start running for the season until May 16th.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

When you get to Boston, if you rent a car, you can go to the Cape for as much or little time as you'd like. Do you mind driving? Book the car early in order to get the lowest rate and do not book any advance payment cars. Then you can cancel without penalty if your plans change. Include Enterprise in your search since they have good service at Logan.

10. Re: 3-4 days to kill in New England?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:28