We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car to canada

england
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
rental car to canada

We are thinking of renting a car in Boston and driving up to Canada. Are there any issues with insurance etc. providing the rental company are aware of this?

thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car to canada

I think it's probably best if you talk to the rental company directly.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car to canada

Agreed, you need to discuss this with the rental company. Some companies may not allow it. I have done it twice, but told the company in advance. Also, if it is a one-way rental (ie. you are dropping it in Canada) there may be a hefty extra fee.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car to canada

US car rental companies don't generally have an issue with taking the car into Canada. If you want to drop it off there, you need to arrange that.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car to canada

"US car rental companies don't generally have an issue with taking the car into Canada" in most cases is totally wrong. Please get advanced approval from your rental car company before you go. There are all kinds of insurance, liability and border crossing issues involved.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car to canada

I have rented at Buffalo air5port and driven into Canada and then back many times, no issues with rental company, with insurance, or at border.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car to canada

Sure. Buffalo is right near Niagara Falls and the Canadian border so they expect that. Try from Boston or NYC and you may get surprised.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car to canada

I have rented in Boston and gone to Toronto, then dropped the car in Buffalo and flew home.. I have rented in Buffalo, gone to Toronto, and then to Boston and dropped the car. I am aware of folks often renting cars from NYC or Boston area to go to Canada. No big deal. Basically, there isn't much of a big deal among the majors (not a local rental agency) as far as Canada. OTOH, Mexico - never.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car to canada

The key is to talk with your car insurance company or your credit card company beforehand.

england
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car to canada

OK thanks. We intend to discuss with company first. Do they provide the documentation when you pick up the car? It will be one of the major companies.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car to canada

There is no documentation. At the border, they may ask who owns the car. You tell them.. That's it. Or they may not ask. I have never been asked to show any document either in my personal car or in a rental.