We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston

5 posts
Save Topic
Boston

We are going to Boston in two weeks. We are traveling with three boys ( 16, 13, and 10). I have most of the trip planned out, but, need a little help, as I can't fit everything in. At this point, we are going to a sox game the day we arrive. The first full day, we will do the freedom trail, along with Quincy market, and either a duck tour or tall ships. Day two, we plan on the MIT museum ( ten year old insists) and Harvard tour along with museum of natural history. We were hoping to squeeze in Salem, but not sure if it will work ( should I drop the Harvard tour?). Day 4 six flags... I know, I know, why take a day out for six flags?! Again, three boys. Day 5 is the issue. I wanted to do Plymouth and Lexington/concord, but I realize they are in opposite directions. Also, I will fit in newbury street and beacon hill- can probably do our sixth day, but will be flying out at 5:00, so not sure. Anyway, median question: if it comes down to choosing out of plimouth or lex/ concord, which is best?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston

IMHO too many day trips in your short stay. Skip Salem and Plymouth - or at least one - and I think you'll have a much better vacation for you and the boys. Then enjoy Back Bay, run the Marathon at the Marathon Commemorative, go to the top of Prudential. Then take the ferry to Old Ironsides and get a Navy tour. Six Flags you already understand.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston

Then you just need to add days ;)

It sounds like you have a car and you will need it for six flags.

I think what it comes down to is you need to do Plymouth or Salem or Lexington & concord. One option to consider is L&C in a day and then SALEM for dinner and a ghost tou,r. One thing to consider is that thanks to snow storms the public schools will be in session until late June, so parents are all working and the rush hour commute will be alive and well while you are here. The trip from Lexington to Salem, along Rte 95/128 (once known as 'America' s Technology Highway') could take twice as long as Mapquest tells us.

Also, if your boys have already been to a six flags, I have been told that Six Flags New England is not as 'robust' as others. You may try to convince them to replace it with Canobie Lake Park in SalemNEW HAMPSHIRE (not the same place as Salem Mass). The drive is shorter.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g46218-d12…

http://www.canobie.com/

Happy Planning!

Edited: 31 May 2014, 12:58
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston

Thank you, great information. I will talk my hubby and boys out of six flags , they have been before. If I can, is Plymouth worth it, or should I stay in boston?

NH
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston

For a short visit there is plenty to keep you busy in Boston. But then again, there is a ton of very cool stuff to do outside of Boston, too. ...Including Plymouth and Newport RI. I guess you will just have to plan a return trip! ;)

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston

Also, we originally planned the whale watching tour (we are from New Orleans, the most we see are alligators.. whales would be pretty cool). But, I am afraid 4 hours will become boring, so , I took it off the agenda. Is it worth adding it back? Thanks, again for helping this indecisive woman :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston

Your choice. Most of the 4 hours will be just open ocean, just so you know.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston

The Whale Watch is pretty special and they will probably remember it forever. Spending half a day on the ocean may be a welcome relief from so much running around. I don't think I've heard anyone complain of being bored on the trip.

Beacon Hill is fascinating. So is strolling around the North End (not just the Freedom Trail walk).

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston

Thanks, we already planned on the North End, as well as Beacon Hill. I figured we would fit in the evening. Basically, trying to plan our days before places close. I think I have zoned in a little more, now. Thanks for all the suggestions. It can be overwhelming. I think now, I need to figure out a list of places to eat (that will please all of us.. I am more "foodie", the boys are NOT).

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston

Clarification, I do NOT want to eat at chain restaurants. I'm probably not a textbook foodie, just like good food :)

10. Re: Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16