We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation spots near to Boston?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation spots near to Boston?

We are driving up from Wellfleet and want to spend two nights somewhere child friendly near to Boston as we have to drive back there to drop our car off. Would really appreciate any suggestions for places where we could spend a few days, maybe in a lodge or by some river/water activities etc. was thinking possibly Salem or Plymouth?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Are you going to spend any time in Boston itself? If not, then I would say stay there. I'm a little confused by the way your post is worded. Did you want to drop the car off in Boston and then stay somewhere outside the city? If so Plymouth would be too far without a car. There is a commuter rail, but you'd really want a car to get around the area. If you're still going to have the car yes, Plymouth is a really nice town. I'm not familiar enough with Salem to advise you there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Salem is a nice option. In fact, it is pretty walk able and you do not need a car. Also, Salem is connected to the city by Ferry & Commuter rail.

If you are thinking beach, then another option to check out is Gloucester & Rockport. Both the places have many B&B's.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Hi, sorry I should have explained better! We are flying into Boston and spending a few days there at the start of our trip. Then picking up the car and driving to Wellfleet. Spending a week there and then want somewhere to stay for 2 nights that is on the way back to Boston where we will drop off the car and take the train to New York to finish the trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

That makes sense. Then yes, I think Plymouth is a great option. Another one could be Hull.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Thanks, we are staying at the Copley Square Marriot in Back Bay when we are in Boston. Am I right in thinking that the train station is nearby? Also, I haven't reserved a car yet, is it easy enough to sort when we get there?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

There is a T stop right there, Copley. I'd settle the car rental before you come. Then you can search around for the best deal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

You definitely want to book your rental car before you leave the UK. If you wait until you are here, you'll be pay considerably more than you need to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Yes, there is a train (as in national train, Amtrak) station near your hotel in the Back Bay. It is called the Back Bay Station. Your hotel will know.

Sometimes people use the word 'train' to mean the local subway, and sometimes it means the national rail line that goes to far cities. I think you mean the national train that goes from Boston to New York. Use Back Bay Station (or, take a cab to South Station, in order to board the train at the beginning -- might be worth it since you are a family and want to sit together)(it's not very far).

Copley T station is for the subway. You can't get on the Amtrak there. They are different systems. It so happens that Back Bay Station works for both the local subway, and for Amtrak, but that is true only for Back Bay Station and for South Station. Just FYI.

Plymouth is great! Lots to see and do there. Not sure where hotels are located there, but I'd recommend staying close to the town center.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Great thanks everyone, some really good advice. We will definitely book the car from England. Really looking forward to our trip. My children's first taste of the U.S!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation spots near to Boston?

Hi, one more question regarding the train from Boston to New York.. Is it worth me pre booking our seats from England? I want to catch a certain train to ensure that we arrive in New York at a certain time but wasn't sure how busy the trains tend to be on a Monday mid morning?