We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road suggestions

Norway
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road suggestions

We are taking a New England road trip this summer, and would like some suggestions on which roads to drive. We have plenty of time, and prefer scenic roads to h´ways. I really want to see some covered bridges along the way, and don´t mind taking small detours.

This is our route:

Stephentown NY (near Albany), North Conway NH (want to stop in Woodstock on the way), Ogunquit, ME (we will do a day trip to Portland and Freeport from here), Boston MA, Cape Cod MA, Freeport RI.

Will post this in other forums as well.

Thanks.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road suggestions

From Lincoln, NH, drive the Kancamagus Highway to North Conway.

I'm not sure which Woodstock you are referring to.

Orford, NH and St. Johnsbury, VT are nice.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,545 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road suggestions

I'm thinking you mean Newport, Rhode Island?

Here is a list of covered bridges in Vermont and a map showing where they are located. There are several near Woodstock, VT, if that is on your route: woodstockinn.com/var/mylmt/storage/original/…

In Maine, you can drive Route 1, the coastal route, instead of the highway. It will have lots of traffic in summer, but you go through the towns instead of just highway.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road suggestions

There are so many good choices to choose from. I'll start by offering a 2nd vote for the Kancamagus Highway. Woodstock VT narrows your options, Woodstock NY is 100miles out of the way, and Woodstock NH is very close to Lincoln but not exactly a tourist destination.

Here's one option for a scenic route from Stephentown to North Conway:

http://goo.gl/maps/B1o2O

It includes covered bridges at Newfane, VT and Campton, NH, follows a lot of rivers, and includes detours to Lost River Gorge and Franconia Notch once you get near the White Mountains. It's about 80 miles longer (including about 40 miles for the 2 out and back detours) than the fastest route, but almost completely avoids interstates.

Based on the location of North Conway relative to Portland, Freeport, and Ogunquit, I'd make the stops on Portland and Freeport before going to Ogunquit.

Norway
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road suggestions

Thanks! I´ll look into your suggestions.

Woodstock, Vermont is where I want to make a stop.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road suggestions

By the time you connect all these locations, your routes may be affected, but a scenic way to get to Stephentown is to take the Mohawk Trail (route 2). nytimes.com/2012/… You could go as far as Williamstown, then start heading south then west toward Stephentown. Route 7 is a pretty ride south.

Taking route 7 north brings you into VT. So the Mohawk Trail can be a start to exploring both VT and Stephentown.

BTW, why Stephentown? I've driven through many times, but never really thought of it as a destination.

6. Re: Road suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16