We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Is it reasonable to assume we can drive from our downtown Boston hotel to Plimouth Plantation, which opens at 9am, and still make the New Bedford 12:30 ferry to MV? Once on the island, we would probably hang around Oak Bluffs the entire time and take the 8pm ferry back to our NB B&B.

Almost sounds like too much to squeeze in one day, but the drives are pretty short. In my part of the country, everything is more spread out.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

It's not the distances that are the problem. It's the time you need to do the things you're interested in, and potentially the traffic.

To some extent it depends on what day you're thinking of. If it's a summer Saturday, I'd say forget it altogether. On a weekday, it's probably possible. But in my opinion it's a bad idea.

I don't really know what you'd do in Oak Bluffs for seven hours. I think if you want to go to the Vineyard, you should devote at least a full day to that effort, and plan to visit other places in addition to Oak Bluffs.

To catch the 12:30 boat at Woods Hole, I'd say you'd need to leave Plymouth by 11:00 at the absolute latest, and probably a half-hour before that to be remotely comfortable. Is it worth it to you to spend the time and money to visit the plantation for such a short time? Of course, if you don't plan to venture out of Oak Bluffs, you might catch a later ferry.

All in all, though, I think this is no way to spend your day.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Visitors tend to underestimate driving times. Around here we assume there will be traffic and celebrate when there isn't. My 9 mile commute home from work takes 25-30 minutes most days, but longer on Fridayss.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Depending on much interest you have in Plimouth Plantation you could easily spend more than a couple of hours there. You don't mention it but I guess that you are by-passing the Mayflower II, the Rock and the rest of Plymouth.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

This sounds like too tight a schedule to me once you consider traffic. Is there a later ferry you could take if you miss the 12:30 that would still give you some time on MV?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

I just wouldn't combine them in the same day.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

I could spend all day at Plimoth Plantation--and have! I think you are planning far too much for one day. If you want a Plymouth experience, perhaps you could visit the Mayflower II instead of the Plantation. I've never lingered there too long (but also find it less interesting than the Plantation itself).

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Unfortunately, my travel companion is not budging on the topic of Martha's Vineyard, so I think we'll just have to skip Plymouth. On a Sunday (Sept 14), the only New Bedford ferries going out to the vineyard are at 9:30, 12:30, and 3:45. We could just take our time driving, or hang out in New Bedford until ferry time.

Does this sound better?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

You could still squeeze in a quick visit to see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower on your way to the ferry. The Rock is free to see and you don't have to tour the Mayflower, you can look at it from the street.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Thanks, Kat. We will probably do just that.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plymouth AND Martha's in 1 day?

Something to remember in some parts of the country if you ask "how long to drive from point a to point b?" People answer in Miles ... around here we answer in hours and minutes. Visitors often underestimate driving times

It is nearly 8pm.right now. I would say that rush hour is over. Yet, Google maps says the drive from Boston to Plymouth is 39.6 miles, 45 minutes (1 hour 1min in current conditions)

Although Sept 14 is a Sunday, so that may help, but you never know when you will run into some event or another.