We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Renting a beach house in August for one week in Scituate with two girlfriends, so this is a ladies only trip. We like to shop, sightsee, and beaches. Since the house is on the beach, we don't need to spend a whole day at any of the Cape Cod beaches. We plan on spending probably two whole days just hanging at the house.

So I'm looking for top ideas for four days - hopefully within 90 minutes of Scituate. We will have a car.

Let me know your thoughts --

Right now some ideas are Martha's Vineyard, ferry to Provincetown, whale watching, Boston (Freedom Trail?), drive up the Cape partway (I doubt we would make the whole cape in one day, thus the ferry to Provincetown idea).

Feel free to critique the above or add better ideas. It has been 25 years since I've been to New England.

Thank you!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

I would drive to Ptown so you can visit the National Seashore along the way. The Marconi historic site has remarkable views, as does the very short walk at Pilgrim Heights. The Cedar Swamp and Beech Forest walk are very pretty.

Also, highland light is fun to see.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Have you been to Scituate? The beach and beaches near are awesome. I advocate to stay close.

You're close to derby street and the hingham shipyard for shopping. From hingham or hull you can take a boat to Boston.

Hull is close and you should visit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Commuter Rail train from Scituate to Boston for a day of sightseeing/shopping/dining.

Drive to Derby Street Shops, Wrentham Outlets. If you like Talbot's clothing, there's a Talbots outlet in Hingham that beats any outlet prices anywhere. It's the "real" outlet where you can get excellent deals. They have sample size stuff that's so marked down you wonder ... I've gotten fully-lined Talbot's skirts for 10 and 20-.It's located in a group of shops near the water. If you're in Scituate, it's 10-15 minutes away.

Scituate is very nice, restful. The beaches are gorgeous. Drive Jerusalem Road Cohasset to Hull and Nantasket Beach, which has some restaurants, bars, arcades, etc. Big public beach. Excellent burgers etc. at the beach. Volleyball etc.

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Since the house we are renting does have it's own private beach, and we will probably spend at least two full days lounging there, I'm more looking for suggestions for local sights to see rather than another beach.

Martha's Vineyard, Provincetown (is that way too far to drive or should we just take a ferry from Boston?), a leisurely drive along the Cape (which road? which towns?), is Salem worth the drive?

Are these ideas good ones or any other great suggestions?

We are from Chicago area and have lots of malls/shopping/outlets here so looking more for local sights that we don't have back home rather than the mall type of shopping. I know I mentioned shopping, but I should have clarified - cutesy little local shops rather than big mall/outlet type generic stores!

Thanks for all the great info!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Ptown is too far of a drive. The islands consume your hole day. You can see the Vineyard from Scituate if that helps. If these things are on your bucket list, do them. I think there's a lot to do in your area. Cohssset Village is a must then over to hull. From hull take the boat to Boston for the night.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

There is a guys trip post for August. If it overlaps, maybe a daytrip?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

If you can see the Vineyard from Scituate, you have REALLY good eyes.....

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

"If you can see the Vineyard from Scituate, you have REALLY good eyes....."

Or a really tall house! I think that meant that you could in a day go see the Vineyard if based in Scituate.

I would:

Go on a whale watch for sure. Note that ALL boats, no matter where they leave from go to Stellwagen Bank. So just pick one that is easy for you to get to -- either Boston or Plymouth.

Take a ferry to either the Vineyard or Nantucket.

Cohasset Village and harbor are beautiful, and a drive along Atlantic Ave and Jerusalem Road is a must.

And, you're close to the Cape, Boston, by rail (there are two train stations in Scituate) or boad from either the tip of Hull or Hingham.

LMM

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Great suggestions from everyone who posted. I would add that you can take a day trip to Plymouth. You can see the Mayflower replica, Plimouth Plantation and the "rock." There are stores and many restaurants right on the water. I love the Hingham shipyard so you should go there for a look around. Perhaps a meal at the Atlantica in Cohasset, right on the water. Another suggestion for a restaurant with a view, the Sea Dog brew pub in Hull. Gorgeous view of Boston.

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in Scituate - ideas for day trips?

Wow, what a lot of awesome ideas and suggestions! Much appreciated!!