We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston with kids on thanksgiving

nj
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Boston with kids on thanksgiving

Hi all,

Thanks for many successfully planned trips in the past. Next up- Boston. Thinking of spending Thursday-Sunday of thanksgiving weekend with 9yo girl and 5.5yo boy. Can you suggest hotels, mode of transportation, activities, restaurants? Basically everything! Lol. Thank you so much for everyone's continued advice!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

I'd stay in a hotel downtown, back bay or faneuil hall area. To get around either walk or use the T. www.mbta.com. Boston is a very compact city. You may want to go to the museum of science with the kids. Maybe a duck tour if they still run that time of year. What kind of restaurant suggestions are you interested in? Type of food/budget.

nj
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

No specific type or budget. We go many different places, they're good at restaurants. Places with kids in mind are always a plus, as is a good hibachi place.

Any idea what else is open that time of year?

Any Plymouth thanksgiving celebrations?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

ask the Plymouth question separately on the Plymouth forum.

check massvacation.com for activities for kids

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

You could check out Fire and Ice. It's a stir fry place where you collect your ingredients and then they cook everything on a huge grill in the middle. Everyone stands around the grill and watch the chefs. For a japanese hibachi place I like Tokyo Japanese Steak House in Braintree. You'd need a car to get there, or the T to a bus. It's at the south shore plaza. For seafood I like The Summer Shack on Dalton Street. For Italian, you can go anywhere in the north end (Italian section of Boston). Just walk around and check out the menus outside. No one will agree on the best place to go.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

Plimouth Plantation has Thanksgiving dinners. Check their website, make reservations early if you go. You would need to rent a car for the day. Except for the holiday, everything will be open.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

If you are driving from NJ, I will suggest you leave at least 8 hours for the drive home on Sunday. Traffic is historically horrific on that day and I have done that drive (& the reverse) on that day for a decade & I finally gave up a few years ago when it took 10 hours from central NJ to Boston.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

wow yes the traffic - hard to explain how bad that could be, travel on the Sunday will be hellish

nj
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

Beagle33, thanks for those wonderful suggestions!

Is "the T" the subway? I'm an NYC girl....

Ting- have you ever been to the plymouth thanksgiving dinner? would love a firsthand review

suzabanana & cambridgetraveler- i was actually going to fly, flights are surprisingly cheap and quick!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

No, I've never been to the dinner (I should go because I always seem to be the one cooking that day!). I think they offer reservations for a buffet dinner, and also a sit-down dinner. I hope someone who has been will chime in.

The "T" is the subway here. Very easy to use.

A closer restaurant for Japanese Hibachi is Osaka in Brookline. It's an easy ride down Beacon Street to Coolidge Corner on the subway Green Line C. Only about 10 minutes from Kenmore Square. http://www.osakarestaurantgroup.com/index.htm

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston with kids on thanksgiving

I don't normally recommend flying from NJ to BOS, but for Thanksgiving weekend it will definitely be quicker!

The T is the subway www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/ It's way smaller & more compact than NYC. Pretty easy to get around & totally safe. Also, unlike NYC area airports, Boston Logan is only a 10 minute ride into the city.

For stuff to do, if the weather is awful there's the Aquarium http://www.neaq.org/index.php or the Museum of Science http://www.mos.org/ or the Children's Museum http://www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org/ (might be too young for your older kid). The Frog Pond in the Common might have ice skating by then, depending on how cold it is www.bostonfrogpond.com/winter-programs/ .

With no car, definitely stay in Back Bay, Faneuil Hall, Downtown or Theater District. I'm no help on where to eat since I'm always cooking turkey dinner that day! What about dim sum in Chinatown? Or Shabu Zen?