We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Huron

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Port Huron

Does anyone know if the Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair have clean water? A friend told me the water was dirty and she wouldn't suggest swimming in either lake? Thanks for your input.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Huron

Suggesting that the Great Lakes are dirty is so 60's. I've lived on the lakes for 52 years and they've never been cleaner. I have no personal experience with Lake St. Clair, but have been in Lake Huron many times and wouldn't hesitate to bath in it. A beautiful lake.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Huron

Thank you so much for the info. All the pictures on the internet look beauiful. This is our familys first "lake" vacation. We always go to the ocean and decided to give the "close" lakes a try. Any suggestions on what to do in the area? Thanks again

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Huron

Do you plan on staying in Port Huron? My family has a cottage in Lexington and it's very quaint and can be a lot of fun. Port Sanilac is also a neat little town. Like the other poster said, the water is clean ..........................and I prefer Lake Huron over Lake St. Clair.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Huron

I live in Port Huron and will concur with the previous responses. Visitors are shocked by the water clarity here. If you ask me it rivals the Caribbean's clarity. If you are staying in Port Huron I recommend the Thomas Edison Inn or the St. Clair Inn in St. Clair (about a 20 minute drive south). Both have fabulous views of the St. Clair River (and in the Edison Inn's case, Lake Huron also) where you can watch 1000' freighters go by almost within spitting distance. The Edison is under the Blue Water Bridges and sits a could hundred yards from the river. There is a long, long walkway along the river that I never tire of. There are lovely small towns all along the "thumb" of Michigan and you could also go the cottage route albeit a route I'm not familiar with. I'm happy to help if you have any area specific questions. If you have a lot of time you have unlimited Michigan options - Lake Michigan for a dune/small ocean type experience without the salt and Superior for some scenic beauty that rivals most any.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Huron

cherylstar,

Thanks so much for the info. We're looking forward to our visit to Port Huron. Is there a little shopping district there? Also do you know how far it is to Detroit from there? What beach is nice to visit? Is the water cold? Thanks for all your help

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Huron

Glad to help. There is a wonderful Welcome Center in the middle of downtown as well as Acheson Ventures Welcome center in the south of downtown. Downtown (unfortunately) is going thru a struggle right now with a high vacancy rate. That being said it is a lovely old historic downtown and there are a few shops (my favorite Backyard Soaps and More) and numerous restaurants along the river and on the main drag that will make it worth your while. Acheson Ventures is an endeavor by local multi millionaire Jim Acheson to pretty much rejuvenate Port Huron by himself. He has numerous things going on one of which is Vantage Point that has a maritime museum as well as a great viewing area and snack shop right on the river. He also brought a tall ship, the Highlander Sea, to the area and it is available for daysails (it is lovely although I have yet to do the sail). Port Huron usually has a lot going on. There is a great sailboat race (usually numbering around 300) that goes from Port Huron to Mackinac Island in mid-July and it is a week of carnival, fireworks and festivities. The Huron Lady which docks downtown offers daily river cruises for $11 - great way to see the river and area. Detroit is a very easy 1 hour drive and if you can swing it you should see if you can go to a Tiger game if you like baseball - Comerica Park is great. There is a lot to do in Detroit as well as the summer concert schedule is huge in southeast Michigan. Not sure what you're looking for, or dates, but if you are interested in concert going you can check websites for DTE Energy Music Theater (great outdoor amphitheater about 1 hour from Port Huron in the Detroit suburbs), the Sarnia Bayfest which is 7/14- 7/17 (I think) and is right across the river from PH in Canada (Aerosmiht, Def Leppard, Toby Keith and Nickleback will be there on various nights). For more indepth Detroit info you may want to post again. In Detroit area, a great art museum, Greenfield Village and Detroit Zoo all worth a trip and pretty much about an hour drive.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Huron

Lighthouse Beach and Lakeside Beach are the main beaches in the area, but about 15 minutes north is Lakeport State Park and it is the nicest of the bunch and offers easy parking across the street with a pedestrian walkway over the road. Your idea of cold.......... hmmmmmm, since this year has been unseasonably warm for the most part I would say that about mid-July the water will be low to mid 70's. I always find it refreshing as opposed to the bathwater of the Caribbean. Restaurant recommendations if you visit - The Raven - south part of downtown - eclectic and historic with wonderful salads and sandwiches and a HUGE coffee/smoothie menu, but no booze. Quay Street Brewing Company right by the main drag on the river with excellent menu and good prices. Huron Athletic Club - my husband swears their burgers are the best anywhere - great sandwiches too, huge servings and good drink prices in a historic building right by Backyard Soaps and More. River Crab which is about 15-20 minutes south of Port Huron - upscale restaurant (but summer casual dress is fine) that has outside St. Clair River dining as well and a lovely inside dining room overlooking the river - great seafood - dinner for 2 w/drinks around $80-$90. Happy to help. I'll try to remember to check back for your postings. I am a on/off TA poster and have only been on lately due to just returning from vacation and going on another one in a few months.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Huron

Didn't want to forget so here is one more post. PH also has a trolley you catch downtown that gives a 1 hour tour for a dime- yep, a dime. PH also has a retired lightship and newly retired Coast Guard cutter that you can tour (at least I think the cutter is available for tours everyday). And shopping is good in Lexington ( also has a nice beach) which is 20-25 minutes north of Port Huron. There is a cute little dowtown (usually lots of tourists) with some very nice shops.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Huron

cherylstar,

Once again thanks for the info, you've been so very helpful!! If we go over to Canada, what do you need to cross over? Will a driver's license and our kids birth certificate be enough? Do you know how far Frankenmuth is from Port Huron? The Port Huron area sounds very nice. We normally go to the ocean every year and this year it's just too much money, so we decided to go closer to home and visit the areas around Detroit and "the Thumb". I think the fartherest we'd go is Port Austin?? Not sure how far Mackinaw is from Port Huron, any idea? Thanks again for your help.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Huron

You also mentioned Lexington Beach, is that a nice area? We're thinking of going there and Harbor Beach, just wondering if they're nice too? Thanks