We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on Asthma and very cold weather...

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please on Asthma and very cold weather...

Hello Everyone,

I've been wanting to take a trip to the UP where my father and his family originally came from (I'm a native Californian) and I'd love to go in winter so my son can snowboard and we could try snowmobiling. However, I've never experienced weather under 25 degrees, and I was wondering if anyone has asthma and what I should be prepared for since cold weather can be hard with this condition?

Thanks for any advise!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on Asthma and very cold weather...

I had mild asthma as a child; when the weather got cold, that is usually when it kicked in-kind of excersise induced asthma. I was pretty active, even in winter, so I used an inhaler when needed, and breathed warm air into my gloves and scarf-lol-really, I did and that helped me some. But I think the advice needs to come from your doctor, depending on the severity and the fact you or your son are not used to cold weather on any kind of regular basis. If I was not that active, mine did not act up. When it did, it pretty much leveled off after the weather stayed cold. Some people with asthma do not have trouble with cold weather-my brother's for instance. So possibly, you will not have any problems. That is about all I can say or recommend-listen to your doctor, your own intuition, make sure you have all your meds available at all times, and monitor your activity level, to see what you can do without inducing severe symptoms....Have fun, the UP in winter can be awesome! Tyme

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on Asthma and very cold weather...

This is a web site out of Norway where there is mention made of a special cold weather mask which may be of interest. The site also cautions that asthma is a highly individualised with significant variations....

I tried sending the precise URL but it has too many characters. Do a search for 'Useful facts on Astma and Cold' on the web site below which is the Norwegian Astma and Allergy web site. Don't worry, it comes up in English:

http://www.naaf.no/

The UP is very beautiful in all seasons but you definitely need to exercise great caution if you are driving in some of the snow storms. Came across this web site which is a diary of a visit to the UP in Winter; might give you an idea of the good and the bad:

www.kestan.com/travel/michigan/mi_index.htm

This contains some advice from the state government about Driving in Winter:

michigan.gov/documents/michnets/TrafficSafet…

This site is full of good info re the UP:

www.exploringthenorth.com/mich/mich.html

Apologies if I have wandered too far off topic...

Mentioned in this post
The English Inn
The English Inn
105 Reviews
Eaton Rapids, MI
3. Re: Advice please on Asthma and very cold weather...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 02:17