We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

Midland, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

I am going to be getting married next January and am quite perplexed about where we should go for our honeymoon. We would really like to go to Arizona to see the red rocks and be warm. (Granted, it's not incredibly warm in AZ in Jan, but much warmer than MI in January!) Unfortunatley, I don't think that we will be able to afford it. Staying in the state would be the most cost effective honeymoon, but I don't know where to go in the middle of Winter! Neither of us are skiers. We are considering going completley off the beaten path and doing Mackinac Island in the winter, though I'm not sure if we are quite that adventurous! I'm just completly lost on an affordable winter honeymoon in Michigan. Please Help!

Midland, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

I also think that part of my problem is that since I lived in Michigan all my life, not too many of the locations (as much as I really love Michigan and all it has to offer) seem, I don't know, exotic. I have already traveled so much around this state, a change might be nice. I still would love to see what you have to say about Michigan honeymoons, but if there is a nice affordable place to honeymoon outside of Michigan, I would love to hear about that too!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

Perhaps a B&B or nice hotel in the Leelanau Peninsula?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

What do you two like to do? Would you rather have a few days to just cozy up in front of a fireplace together, or would you rather be somewhere in town where you can go out for dinner, cocktails, shopping, etc?

You might check out The Homestead Resort in Glen Arbor...from their website..."Discover a winter resort experience high above Lake Michigan. Stroll the boardwalks. Hike the beach. Snowshoe the woods. Ski and snowboard with a view of Lake Michigan. Savor fine dining. Travel to nearby Sleeping Bear Dunes. Explore shops, galleries, museums and historical sites. Ski the way it was meant to be. The Homestead's winter season begins December 21, 2007 and ends on March 11, 2007. The Homestead is also open for lodging and dining Thursday through Saturday from November 2 to December 21, 2007."

The resort is relatively close to Traverse City, Leelanau, etc. There are condos, suites, cabins, rental homes, etc. I took my wife here for the weekend to propose and it was perfect...smallish, romantic and a lot of fun. Check them out at: www.thehomesteadresort.com

For an "in-town" destination, Petoskey's great...There are several hotels that are close to or in downtown, where you'll find great shopping, restaurants (from lively pubs to upscale fine dining) and lots to do. Petoskey's just large enough to have all the conveniences you'll want, but small enough to be quaint and romantic. My two favorite hotels in town are:

Stafford's Perry Hotel http://www.staffords.com/perry-hotel-4/

and

The Apple Tree Inn www.appletreeinn.com

Traverse City's another great option, but has more of a "city" feel. If I were to stay around Traverse, it would likely be on Leelanau or Old Mission Peninsula...somewhere out of town, but within easy driving distance. There are several B&B's and wineries on each peninsula.

Mackinac Island would be a great destination too, but there won't be much to do in the way of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. If you'd like some privacy, this might be your best bet. Mission Point's a bit out of town, but I think it would make for a nice romantic destination and the service has always been top notch when I've been there. www.missionpoint.com

These are just a couple of quick suggestions, if any of these sound interesting just say the word and I'll provide more detailed info.

Michigan
Level Contributor
148 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

For what you will pay for lodging and food in Michigan, you can probably do a 4 or 7 day trip to the Caribean. Check out Funjet or Apple web-sites for great, last minute deals.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

sledrider's not too far off, though depending on the duration of your stay, you can do Northern Michigan significantly cheaper than the Caribbean.

Your top three budget Caribbean destinations (cheapest first) are:

Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica.

Of the three, I much prefer Jamaica...you can go, out of Detroit, for seven nights in a mid-level, All-inclusive resort, including airfare for around $1,000 per person. This is all your transfers, meals, lodging, cocktails, watersports, entertainment, activities, etc. Now...generally speaking, you'll wind up spending a bit more here and there, but if you stay on the resort, you won't have to spend another dime all week. If you're interested in this, I'd check out the following resorts: Royal Decameron Club Caribbean (runaway bay) Holiday Inn Sunspree (montego bay) RIU properties (locations in Ocho Rios and Negril) Grand Bahia Principe (runaway bay area) and Royal Decameron Montego Bay. There are certainly resorts at the higher and lower end, but those listed provide a good value, clean resort, decent food and a nice atmosphere.

Mexico and the Dominican might be a bit cheaper, but I can almost guarantee you'll like Jamaica better.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

My hubby and I had a little weekend get-a-way at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham a few months ago. It was lovely. Very relaxing, very luxurious. Fun shopping in town, too. Probably not the cheapest weekend of our lives, but it was worth every penny.

Even though you're not skiers, how about a suite up near Boyne or TC? There's a lot of B+Bs, spa resorts, etc., up that way.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

another inexpensive idea just outside of michigan is the potawattami inn in pokagen state park....they have a refrigerated tobaggan run that is great fun, and offer free cross country ski advice w rental of equipment....as well as a beautiful new restored inn w a great fireplace/family area and indoor pool...

the nature area is great and the lakeside setting can be very romantic!! and its cheap!!

Suttons Bay
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

If you have not found a place to go, I recommend Suttons Bay or Glen Arbor. You dont have to ski to enjoy these beautiful places. Bring your camera and a thermos and explore the great outdoors, sample the many tasty cafes,old time theatres, wineries and brew pubs.Lots of sales at the stores too.

For a place to stay Visit Up North Vacation Rentals has winter deals you will like. Their website is www.visitupnorth.com. Call them they will help you.

Ann Arbor, MI
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

Have you ever had dinner at Tapawingo? If not, this might be the perfect excuse to stay near the Charlevoix/Petoskey area. I've never been but many members of my extended family have been using it as a destination to mark special events for years.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Honeymoon In Michigan

Many good ideas here.

Jamaica is quite nice according to my wife but if you go her recommendation is don't leave the resort execpt in groups.

Tapawingo is awesome dining but it is pricey.. about $40-50 per plate.

I myself want to check out HomeStead based on the other post.

Since money sounds tight (you live in Michigan, I'd be surprised it it wasn't), maybe do a long weekend getaway, put some $$ away and go someplace really nice on the 1st or 2nd anniversary.

One suggestion not here: Frankenmuth. They run various 'lovers' packages for 2-3 night stays.