We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

We are taking 9 days in July to travel the U.P. (we are from Grand Rapids). We are planning on camping and for sure stopping in Mackinaw and Tahquamenon Falls. The rest we are going to figure out as we go. I have been to some of the main stops (pictured rocks, Whitefish Point, etc.) and am fine with going again but I'm wondering if there are any other great locations that we should stop at? Anything off the beaten path? We'd like to stay in the Central UP area but possibly checking out Copper Harbor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Hi there-

I have a great resource for you- Hunts Guide to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It is exactly what you are looking for in terms of off the beaten path. We purchased the book several years ago b/c we spend time in the UP every summer. Nice break from our city living in Cleveland! It has led us to some neat places, even in the more "touristy areas". Great artists galleries in Marquette, Fayette's history, Copper country finds- make sure you stop at the Jam Pot outside of Eagle River on the way to Copper Harbor. The really great thing is that Hunts has an on-line site now, so you can plan from there. We like the book b/c it travels with us. Hunts also gives you some neat lodging ideas along the way. Have a great trip!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Hello mblaanz, Glad to hear you are planning on coming back up for a visit. Here are 3 web sites about the UP.

http://hunts-upguide.com/ I believe this site is where the poster above, kaholl, found their book.

http://www.uptravel.com/Default.asp

http://www.superiorsights.com/

An area you may like is Curtis in the central UP. There are 3 lakes there. There is also the Seney National Wildlife Refuge near by. After looking at the web sites please feel free to ask more detailed questions on anything that catches your eye.

Michigan
Level Contributor
148 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

I recommend going to Oswold's Bear Ranch. At Tahquamenon Falls, eat at the Brewery - excellent food & beer.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Good information already posted, I would say Seney is a must do!! All the copper harbor and keweenaw pennisula sites are highly recommended. Copper mine tour, scenery, etc etc. ALso recommend McClain State park for Houghton Hancock area. Centrally located and a lovely park. (if your doing state parks). The Big Spring at Indian Lake State Park is amazing, but only if your going by Manistique area. The Fayette Ghost town from the old mining days in the Garden pennisula is a neat place to visit too, south of Manistique. just fyi.

Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Thanks for the replies and good ideas. We are open to any suggestions so I appreciate the feedback.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

Here are some other sites that might be helpful:

copperharbor.org

keweenaw.org

keweenaw.info

coppercountry.com

7. Re: Looking for Upper Peninsula Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 05:18