We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with beach areas

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help with beach areas

I am slowly but surely getting my summer trip put together. I need help choosing what beach town(s) we should stay in. We will be leaving from Dearborn, probably not until mid day or late afternoon. We will then have 4 nights to spend somewhere, until we head to St. Ignace. I don't mind doing maybe 2 nights further south, then 2 nights more north, or even 3 nights and 1. I would like a beach that has bathroom facilities, and possibly a snack bar (do these even exist along Lake Michigan?). We know we'd like to see Sleeping Bear Dunes, but we are not heavy hikers. I thought one day there would be fine. Would Traverse City be the best place to stay in terms of lodging choices? And, where to stay prior to Sleeping Bear? We are 2 parents, 12 and 14 y/o girls, and will be staying mid-July. Thanks for any and all help!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with beach areas

You could spend your time in Traverse City at a beachside hotel. They all have the facilities you are looking for, plus access to watersports equipment if you like. If not beachside, the other hotels are close to the public beach in downtown TC, which also has facilities. Sleeping Bear is an easy day trip from TC, as are other nearby towns and areas if you want to do something other than hit the beach.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with beach areas

Thanks, davidm. Having never been to Michigan before, I'm wondering if we should spend at least a couple of days at a beach (or 2) actually on Lake Michigan, ending up in Traverse City for Sleeping Bear. Would we be missing out by not spending any time at all at, say, Ludington or Silver Lake Sand Dunes or even down near Muskegon or Grand Haven? Out of a 13 night trip, I only have these 4 nights in the middle to figure out.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with beach areas

I would try to spend 2 nights in either of the following areas:

South Haven/Saugatuck

Holland/Grand Haven

Ludington

Then, go to Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes area for 2 nights, then head towards St. Ignace via Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, M-119. Even if you don't have time to stop in these towns on your way, it is a beatiful drive and you will see lots of views of Lake MI, forest, meadow etc.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with beach areas

Thanks Tyme, I will start looking into these right away!

Hershey

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with beach areas

Hershey4: We are spending 2 days in Saugatuck in early June and found this website helpful;

http://saugatuckdouglas.com/

6. Re: Help with beach areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 18:21