We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campgrounds

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Campgrounds

Im looking for a campground that I can go to this summer with a group of friends. Preferably somewhere near a lake and where we dont have to be quiet early. If anyone can give me suggestions, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campgrounds

Any general area you'd like to stick around, or distance from where you're located?

There are a few very nice campgrounds around Northen Michigan, but it will be a 3-4 hour drive from St. Clair Shores.

I really like Burt Lake State Park in Indian River and Aloha State Park in Cheboygan on Mullett Lake...both on large inland lakes, great sandy swimming, etc. If I had to pick, I'd go w/ Burt Lake as it's just a short walk from downtown Indian River and several restaurants, bars, etc.

If you'd like something a little more rustic, there are some nice State Forest campgrounds around...several in the Pigeon River area. I really like Weber Lake campground...rustic w/out power, running water, etc. It's right on a small lake, great for swimming and right on the atv trail system.

Also, Petoskey State Park is right on Little Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan...great sandy beach, sand dunes, etc. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from downtown Petoskey, where there's tons of stuff to do.

I'd be happy to make more suggestions if you provide just a little more info as to what you're looking for.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campgrounds

Thanks for your help I really really appreciate it! Those few that you mentioned sounded great. Im going to talk to my friends about it more to make a decision. Do you know if these places are really strict with the noise?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campgrounds

Depends on how much noise you're talking...most of the state parks will have quiet hours after 10 or 11, but a few friends up laughing and having a few drinks around the fire shouldn't be a problem. If you're talking loud music and really rocking out, it will likely be an issue anywhere you go. The state forest campgrounds will be much more lenient on noise as there's no staff on site.

What are the dates you're planning? Would you consider camping at a festival? There are several really cool music festivals in Northern Michigan where noise and partying definitely are not an issue.

stockbridge, mi
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campgrounds

The Oaks campground is between Ann Arbor & Jackson and would love to have you and your friends. Quite time is midnight and if you come on an off weekend you are not bothered to much at quiet time. Please call if you are interested. 517-596-2747 You may also check out our web site theoakscampping.com

Thank you Tammy

Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campgrounds

We like Fisherman's Island State Park near Charlevoix. It is a rustic park but it's beautiful and not busy. Many of the lots have space between them so you don't have to feel like you have to be quiet. The park is nice and it's near Charlevoix and Petoskey if you want to go in to town. It's one of our favorite places to camp with friends because we feel free to be as loud as we want.

6. Re: Campgrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:18