We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk viewing in Michigan?

missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Elk viewing in Michigan?

I thought I read somewhere that Michigan has a very large elk population. We're thinking of vacationing in Michigan in September, and would like to go to somewhere where we could see some elk in rut. Can anyone advise us if this information is correct, and if so, where we'd need to visit to see the elk herds?

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

Hello nurse,

Good question. I live in the UP (upper peninsula) of Michigan and I was not sure where the Elk were either.

Here are two web sites about Elk in Michigan.

michigandnr.com/publications/…index.htm

http://www.michigan.gov

/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10893-28275--,00.html

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

The 2nd web site I gave you doesn't work on my last post. It doesn't take you where I wanted you to go.

Lets try this one -

michigan.gov/dnr/…00.html

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

There used to be a large Elk reservation in Gaylord. You could check with the local chamber of commerce or DNR to see if it is still there

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

Try this link - - we have always seen them in the Gaylord/Johannesburg area.

michigan.gov/dnr/…00.html

There is an Elk Ranch in Ludington as well but it's not the same as seeing them in the wild.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

You'll want to get out into the Pigeon River Forest.

The following is from this site:

michigandnr.com/publications/…index.htm

The Pigeon River Country State Forest and surrounding land is home to the largest free-roaming elk herd east of the Mississippi River. The nearly 100,000-acre state forest contains native hardwoods and pines that are interspersed with fields and forest openings. The Department of Natural Resources maintains this excellent elk habitat through careful forest and wildlife management.

Elk inhabit this site year-round, but certain times are better for viewing than others. Probably the best month is September, when the males (bulls) are trying to establish dominance for mating rights with the females (cows). They are very active during this time, making loud vocalizations (bugling), and breaking brush with their antlers to impress cows and intimidate their rivals. If you plan to visit during September, try to arrive during the week. Elk viewing has become very popular and weekends are crowded. Another good time to view elk is from late April through early May. Elk are active throughout the daylight hours eating the new green growth and there are few people out to see them. Several elk viewing sites have been established on this site. These are not the only places you can see elk, but they are located in known elk gathering spots, and are good places to start.

The best viewing is done from your car, since elk are accustomed to seeing cars. Use binoculars or spotting scopes for best results. Do not approach elk. Despite their large size, they are timid animals and will not tolerate much disturbance.

missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

Thanks for the information and the replies. This is excellent information. We saw lots of elk the past two years in September during our vations out west at Wyoming and Colorado, and being from Missouri, we were hooked on the sound of those beautiul animals bugling continuously. We're used to seeing only whitetail deer, (and on the run if they spot humans). The elk we saw at Yellowstone & Rocky Mountain National Park, as well as in the town of Estes Park were out in full force, and easily viewable, We're planning on going somewhere different this year, but I'd love to see more elk this year, and since we've never been to Michigan, it sounds like this might be our trip this year!

7. Re: Elk viewing in Michigan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 14:21