We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

Does anyone know a good location for orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey? My son is interested in this and I would love to spend some time on our upcoming trip doing this with him. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks, Moms

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

Ok I needed to google that so I'm not going to be any help! God help you both, as it sounds like a workout. We have a track that takes us from town up behind the Grand Hotel and across the Island to Arch Rock, along a path above Mission Point and back to town in one hour. We don't use a compass though, we just follow the smell of fudge.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

I am laughing at your response Rono! Yes, indeed, following the smell of fudge sounds wonderful on Mackinac Island!

My son is finishing up some requirements for Boy Scouts. They were supposed to do some orienteering around here last week but thunderstorms stopped it. They will be completing it while we are away. That means Mom and Dad have to make it up. So, now I am trying to do the following: (1) figure out precisely what orienteering is; (2) figure out if there is a way to do it in Michigan as it seems that it could be more interesting in Northern Michigan than in Central and Southern New Jersey; and (3) plan a day to break away from my favorite spot on the beach on Lake Charlevoix to get it done!

Everyone needs to plan something. This is it for me this year, other than planning which good books I plan to read and which fine wines I intend to sample and pair with John Cross Whitefish pate! Moms

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

Maybe there's a boyscout troop in the area that can arrange it. That way you can drop the boy off and get back to your book :)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

LOL Rono, that was a good one! When do you come, Moms?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

Moms,

I think Rono's idea of contacting the local Boy Scouts is a good idea. Try Googling "Boy Scouts Michigan". It will give you links to the regional councils. Any one of them should be able to give you good information about orienteering in the northern lower peninsula.

I don't think Mackinaw Island will do the trick. It is already too well oriented. But I think there is a lot of area in Wilderness State Park that might be suitable. You could Google that, too, and it will probably give you some links to MI State Parks and Natural Resources.

BY the way, there are probably some great places for orienteering in western NJ and in the southern Catskills, too.

6. Re: Orienteering near Charlevoix or Petoskey or Mackinac Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 08:17