We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan Festival Scene

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Michigan Festival Scene

I just wanted to draw everyone's attention to the blossoming music and festival scene here in Michigan and Northern Michigan in particular. With festivals like Blissfest, Sleeping Bear Blues & Dunegrass Festival, Wheatland Music Fest, Farm Fest, Hoxeyville Music Festival Northern Michigan is quickly becoming a festival destination.

We've been going to BlissFest for years and have turned it into a family tradition. With a totally family friendly vibe, Bliss is a great place to bring the kids, aside from music there are workshops, kids activities, programs, etc. This year's BlissFest (the 28th annual by the way) was absolutely top notch...the BlissFest organization actually owns the festial farm, so every year there are improvements and it just keeps getting better and better. You won't find a nicer, more sincere, caring group of people anywhere.

Last year, we discovered Dunegrass, in Empire right at the Sleeping Bear Dunes. We've decided that while Bliss is the family festival, Dunegrass is for mom and dad...not that it isn't family friendly, it's just a good opportunity for our daughter to visit the grandparents and for mom and dad to cut loose a bit! Dunegrass last year was phoenominal...great music, great vibe, great location with shuttle to the beach...an all around awesome festival! Dunegrass is next weekend (July 31-Aug 3), if anyone's in the area looking for something to do, I'd highly suggest you check it out.

Here's a handy list of music festivals throughout the area:

Blissfest: Second weekend in July every year: www.blissfest.org

Dunegrass Festival: First weekend in August: www.dunegrassfestival.com

Wheatland Music Fest: Weekend after labor day: www.wheatlandmusic.org

Farm Fest: This is a little down home festival that's really starting to come into it's own...In Johannesburg August 14-17: www.farm-fest.com

Hoxeyville Music Festival: Going on Right Now!!! I've not yet been to this one, but I've heard great things. Unbelievably, it's getting to the point where there's more music that one can feasibly see in the summer!!! What a great problem to have, eh?

Of course we can't forget Rothbury. In it's innaugural year, Rothbury was a huge hit. I personally prefer the smaller regional festivals, but with the amazing lineup, Rothbury is definitely a national draw. I hear they didn't do too well financially (it's not cheap being green) so we'll see if they're still around next year.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and check out some of these festivals. Even if you just stay for a day you'll get a good flavor of what goes on. I can't tell you how many people I've turned on to these festivals...they all just come for a single day and wind up camping for the weekend the following year!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan Festival Scene

HI DH! We will definitely keep Dunegrass in mind for next year, alas, I already have reservations at a southern MI campground for that weekend, or I'd come that way! Sounds like a blast! Where is Blissfest held? I know I will look it up, but thought I'd ask anyway! Hope you are having a great summer. I did the unthinkable (LOL) and left Michigan for a summer vacation-we went to Wisconsin. However, we did take the Badger Ferry over to WI from Ludington, so I guess that counts for something. Take care.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan Festival Scene

Here is one that I've been hearing a lot about recently.

1st Annual Music & Motor Festival

August 22-23, 2008 (Friday 3PM-11PM) (Saturday 11AM-11PM)

Featuring Live Music, car show, motorcycle show, art, food and beer.

Located at Juniper Hills Campgrounds, Brooklyn MI (across from MIS speedway)

Featuring music from

-Welcome to Ashley (Chicago, IL)

-Candy Apple & The Buddies (Nashville, TN/Chicago,IL)

-Jim McCluskey and the Twighlight of Idiots (Chicago)

-Roosevelt Jenkins (Chicago, IL)

-Bad Penny (Jackson, MI)

-Not Another Hero (Jackson, MI)

-TYNEK (Detroit, MI)

-Positive Energy (Jackoson Premier Motown Sound)

-Jason Peek All Star Band

-Kung Fu Diesel (Parma, MI)

-Zion Lion (Kalamazoo, MI/Jamaica/Africa)

-Devan Drennan & Band

-Dan Brady and Ron Chimielewski (Jackson, MI)

Rock, Folk, Indie, Blues, Alternative, Motown, Reggae, Post Punk, Acoustic, & Rockabilly

advanced ticket info email address:brooklynmusicmotorfest@yahoo.com

Juniper Hills 13500 US12 Brooklyn, MI 49230

(517)592-6803

Info:(517)812-7526

3. Re: Michigan Festival Scene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 13:19