We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tropical destination from Michigan

Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best tropical destination from Michigan

We are planning on going on a quick 3 or 4 night vacation sometime in Jan or Feb. We would be flying out of Grand Rapids. Since the trip is so short, the shorter the flight, the better. We do not want in the US, but do want somewhere tropical. Suggestions?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

There are no international flights out of GRR (except Toronto, which is not exactly tropical). That means you would have to connect somewhere. You might also want to consider driving to Detroit or Chicago which could be faster than a connection. I would focus more on cost and destination - not the flight time.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

I know there aren't any international flights out of Grand Rapids. For convenience sake, I will not fly out of anywhere else. Driving to detroit or chicago is not worth my drive time. So, not overly concerned about the extra cost, just looking for a quick getaway.

Michigan
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

Know it is not tropical, but the hotels can make it anything you want...las vegas. allegant airlines is fairly cheap. Quick flight and the hotels are almost giving rooms away.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

Take a look at Jamaica. I never fly from GR but out of DTW there are all kinds of vacation packages to Jamaica for well under $1,000 per person. Check out the Grand Palladium, Holiday Inn Sunspree, Royal Decameron Montego Bay, or Sunset Beach Resort for moderately priced all inclusive resorts. For even cheaper accomodations check out Kuyaba, Legends, Shields, or Negril Beach Club Condoes in Negril. Negril has 7 miles of connected beach. Flight time is approximately 4 hours depending on how many connections you need.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

I second the suggestion for Jamaica...we visit at least once a year and always love it!

I would, however, recommend different resorts than Jamerican (sorry, buddy) I prefer to stay away from the Spanish owned Mega-resorts and stay in smaller all inclusive or botique non AI properties.

For All Inclusive I'd go with either a SuperClubs property or Couples Property...also maybe Sunset At The Palms in Negril or for a pricepoint, Royal Decameron Club Caribbean. For non all inclusive, I'd stick to Negril...Catcha Falling Star, Rockhouse, Nirvana on the Beach, Country Country and CoCo La Palm are all good options. Jamaica's a large island with several distinctly different areas, you should jump on that forum and do a little more research.

You can also find really good deals to Mexico and Dominican Republic from Michigan, but they don't hold a candle to Jamaica IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

Actually deadhead I don't stay at those mega a/i's either. My preference is the same as yours. We just got back from Negril Beach Club Condoes last week and we used to stay at Shields. I just see the mega a/i's are offering unbelievable deals.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

You can fly to Cancun from Flint.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Flint
Flint
Michigan
8. Re: Best tropical destination from Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:18