We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Stevenson Ranch...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to be driving from Chicago to Detroit in mid July. I am pretty sure we are going to take I-94 all the way. I was wondering what interesting/fun places there are to stop along the way. Any input would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
989 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Get off at Exit 23 in Michigan to visit St Joseph. From the exit is is about 4 miles north into the dowtown area of town. You will get your first great views of Lake Michigan from the road. Continue on a little futher and you will see the lighthouse and beach. Great strolling along the bluff in the downtown area overlooking the lake. Lots of good lunch places too.

This is for sure your most scenic stop along your route. After St Joe -- it is mostly same old same old interstate driving towards Detroit.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

A map of options:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/mi

There's the Space Zoo in Kalamazoo, wine tastings along the way, hiking near Jackson (and probably other spots as well), plenty to do in Ann Arbor, Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Depends on what your interests are and how much time you want to spend.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Cascades Falls in Jackson is unique. It is better at night. Jackson is about an hour and some change west of Detroit on I-94.

ann arbor
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Ann Arbor! The University of Michigan college town is off 1-94. Make sure you go downtown...tons of shops and restaurants...several blocks. map it on google.

Wonderful art museum and science museum (both downtown).

The college campus has great architecture and is busy with lots of people in summer.

The 3rd week of July is the art fair. Brings over 500,000 people each year! Dont know if you'd want to go or avoid it during this time :)

Two smaller towns just off 94 are Chelsea and Saline. Small, but charming.

Michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Second vote for Kalamazoo...has some stores and nice places to eat. Definitely a college town.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

Actually even though my blood runs Green and White, I would have to suggest St. Joe and then Ann Arbor!

7. Re: Places to stop driving from Chicago to Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 05:18