We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite place in the UP?

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Your favorite place in the UP?

Hi Everyone!

As I'm doing my research and looking over my rough draft itenerary, I'm finding the more I research (from the tip of the Keweenaw to Mackinac Island) the more I want to see!!!

So, I was wondering what might be some favorite areas, towns, things to do etc. of folks who live there, or have visited?

This might help me decide better how much time to spend in the various areas. For instance, right now, we're planning a day trip from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island, but I'm seriously thinking of extending our time there and stay a night or two.

Would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

#1 for us is the Seney National Wildlife Refuge just outside Germfask, close to the town of Seney. If you are into birds, nature, and wildlife this is the place to see. Excellent visitors center, walking trails and 2 combination one way motor car routes.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

Copper Harbor/Keewanaw Peninsula.

Tahquamenon Falls.

Whitefish Point/Shipwreck Museum.

Presque Isle and Black River trails-lots of beautiful waterfalls.

Beaches along US 2 after Naubinway towards St. Ignace.

#Mackinac Island-stay overnight if you can.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

doggy1 guess what I got to do. I was part of the Census up here these last few months and I got assigned to do the area of the Seney Refuge. (actually I assigned myself). I was given a key that could open any gate on their property. It was great!!!

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

Got a few of those on my list and I see I have some more places to look into! Yay! :-) I'm really looking forward to this adventure!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

I like the view from the log slide in Grand Marais and the pizza there.

Also take highway 13. It is just East of Munising between Munising on US 28 and US 2. Also known as Forest Highway 13.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
303 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

Biased expat here, but Dickinson County-- nice beaches and lakes (Lake Mary and Lake Antoine [pronounce it "ann-TWYNE" if you don't want to be immediately ID yourself as a tourist]), lots of fishing opportunities, plenty of trails and roads for hiking / biking / ATVing, Italian-American and regional comfort food in lots of cafes and bars-restaurants, roaring rapids and rocky cliffs of Piers Gorge area of Menominee River (viewable either on footpaths or on rafting trips), iron mining history (a lot which you can view w/o having to pay for a tour), and the view from atop the Pine Mountain ski jump.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

oh wow, previous posts hitting some of the very best IMO. I'm going to add Sault Ste Marie and the Locks and a burger at Antlers Restaurant! It's quite a sight to see the freighters up close there. I won't bring up Mystery spot again.... LOL!!!(but it is legendary for the Upper Pennisula tourist and Marketing!) How about "The Tourist Trap" the Yoopers place there by Ispheming... That place is a hoot.

Other thoughts, Big spring at Palm Brooks State park (part of Indian Lake area) and Fayette are good places to visit, rather unique.

Copper mines of Keeweenaw, Porcupine Mountain area for hiking and sight seeing. Pictured Rocks area of Munising. You already have the top spots for a one time visit.

Im going to get flamed.... I can feel the heat!!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

PS. The Mackinaw Bridge. It connects the two pennisulas over the straits of Mackinaw. It is a marvel. If your already in the U.P. then you would see it from St Ignace.

9. Re: Your favorite place in the UP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 06:16